Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just out of town for 4 weeks (unexpected family emergency), left my '06 Pontiac G6 in the apartment complex parking lot (outside), and when I returned yesterday, I started the car, it started right up, but when I put the car in reverse, that's when my nightmare started. It was impossible to steer, and it took about 5 minutes just to get it back in the right space from a few feet away. It's almost as if the steering is locked up. It also displayed a "Power Steering" warning.

When I returned home (I live in Chicago), I was planning on packing up my belongings and driving from Chicago to Charlotte on Tuesday to start my new job which begins on the 14th. I need to get this fixed as soon as possible, so I can drive safely 14 hours away through the mountains in a few days. I purchased the car in '08, it only has 55,000 miles on it, and I've never had steering issues prior to this. Anyone know what is causing the steering failure and what I should do so I don't have to spend an arm and a leg (pun intended) before my trip on Tuesday? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks slls

Update: I started the car this morning for about 10 minutes, then put it in reverse and to my pleasant surprise the power steering was back and working. Drove it around the back roads for a while and got a nice car wash. The steering seemed better than ever, better drive and handling than before, it seemed.. although it was probably just my imagination.

To anyone out there reading this, would you take it in to get it checked out before Tuesday or would you not worry about it/do nothing about it before the big trip?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
More than likely this is the power steering issue that affects many 2006 G6's. Go to your dealership and see if it is one of those effected. If it is, it is still covered under a recall. You should've gotten some mail about it a few times. I know I did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts