Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've test driven several Vibes, two 2004 and one 2005. I also compared them with two Toyota Matrix's. All of them had the same 1.8 VVTi 130 hp engine with the 4 speed auto. I timed all of them 0 to 60 with just my seiko watch, but there all just as or faster than my G6!!! They all averaged between 8.8 to 9.2 seconds!!! With just a little 1.8 litre 4 banger!!! 130 horsepower vs. 201 in the G6!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Explr1 said:
I've test driven several Vibes, two 2004 and one 2005. I also compared them with two Toyota Matrix's. All of them had the same 1.8 VVTi 130 hp engine with the 4 speed auto. I timed all of them 0 to 60 with just my seiko watch, but there all just as or faster than my G6!!! They all averaged between 8.8 to 9.2 seconds!!! With just a little 1.8 litre 4 banger!!! 130 horsepower vs. 201 in the G6!!!
of course you know you may not be EXACT on your times, but i'm sure you are close, anyway.

just remember, the G6 is a alot heavier car than the Vibe or Matrix (just judging by the size of all three) so it would only make sense that even though the Vbe and Matrix may be down on H.P., the horsepower to weight ratio is better, thus them being the quicker cars.........but thats just MY opinion and you know what they say about 'opinions'......

·
Registered
132 Posts
Explr1 said:
+1 to above.

They are almost 700lbs lighter. 700lbs!

FWIW, all three mags tested the G6 GT as faster than the vibe. And also, NEVER test against a car that's sitting. You need to go find someone's Vibe that has 4000 miles on it and they drive everyday back and forth to work like your G6 - otherwise, the PCM is not "thinking" the same way.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Blackrider said:
I dont buy that for one Min.
I do. The vibe and matrix consistently run 8.5 sec runs. Car and Driver tested the G6 GT at 8. Road and Track tested the G6 GT at 8.2. The regular V6 has 3.05 final drive, so it's not a 0-60 sprinter to begin with. Plus those vibes he's "test driving" are fresh cars that are "sitting" and probably when they do get run, they get run hard. If he reset his PCM with a battery-off, and the ran it hard a couple times the next morning, he'd get a better 0-60 time...

Edit: Oh, and with my mg midget, it's a perfect example of "weight" difference. I can pull off 0-60s in the high 8s with under 100hp. And how about those KMidgets with 160hp runing 5-6 seconds...

·
Registered
268 Posts
miscreant said:
I do. The vibe and matrix consistently run 8.5 sec runs. Car and Driver tested the G6 GT at 8. Road and Track tested the G6 GT at 8.2. The regular V6 has 3.05 final drive, so it's not a 0-60 sprinter to begin with. Plus those vibes he's "test driving" are fresh cars that are "sitting" and probably when they do get run, they get run hard. If he reset his PCM with a battery-off, and the ran it hard a couple times the next morning, he'd get a better 0-60 time...

Edit: Oh, and with my mg midget, it's a perfect example of "weight" difference. I can pull off 0-60s in the high 8s with under 100hp. And how about those KMidgets with 160hp runing 5-6 seconds...
Why do people Insist on bench racing?

And a stop watch is not a meathod in witch to mesure 0-60 times. But thats not even something I want to get into.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Blackrider said:
Why do people Insist on bench racing?
Well, I certainly would not consider anything posted here "bench racing". One of the things I couldn't stand when owning my 9-2x and venturing into NASIOC land was the constant ricer "bench racing" such as "if I put an intercoller and VXT turbo on, I should be making 50 more hp and cut my 0-60 time by .5 secs" and then someone would argue how puting those things on added 150 lbs and would probably only result in .4 secs...arguing what things will or will not do based on "bench" results and not actually getting out there and dyno-ing or racing is "bench racing".

However, the points being drawn here are significantly factual - the Vibe/Matrix is significantly lighter, and I mean by a large margin, which will naturally require less hp to result in the same time sprints. That's not bench racing. Comparing what other "tests" (while I don't put much faith in magazine tests, and hate to quote them...but in this case they are consistent at least) have been run, it's evident that the cars will run very close to each other, most likely because of the weight differences. That's not bench racing either. Showing some possiblities as to where some acceleration problems might occur (such as a 3.05 final ratio) isn't bench racing either.

Let's not confuse this with some belief that the Vibe IS as fast or faster than the G6, that's NOT what I am saying. I am simply saying that they aren't so far off from each other, and within the inappropriate situations he used above, that it wouldn't be possible to get skewed results that would indicate to him the vibe was faster...

And a stop watch is not a meathod in witch to mesure 0-60 times. But thats not even something I want to get into.
That I certainly agree with!

·
Registered
268 Posts
miscreant said:
Well, I certainly would not consider anything posted here "bench racing". One of the things I couldn't stand when owning my 9-2x and venturing into NASIOC land was the constant ricer "bench racing" such as "if I put an intercoller and VXT turbo on, I should be making 50 more hp and cut my 0-60 time by .5 secs" and then someone would argue how puting those things on added 150 lbs and would probably only result in .4 secs...arguing what things will or will not do based on "bench" results and not actually getting out there and dyno-ing or racing is "bench racing".

However, the points being drawn here are significantly factual - the Vibe/Matrix is significantly lighter, and I mean by a large margin, which will naturally require less hp to result in the same time sprints. That's not bench racing. Comparing what other "tests" (while I don't put much faith in magazine tests, and hate to quote them...but in this case they are consistent at least) have been run, it's evident that the cars will run very close to each other, most likely because of the weight differences. That's not bench racing either. Showing some possiblities as to where some acceleration problems might occur (such as a 3.05 final ratio) isn't bench racing either.

Let's not confuse this with some belief that the Vibe IS as fast or faster than the G6, that's NOT what I am saying. I am simply saying that they aren't so far off from each other, and within the inappropriate situations he used above, that it wouldn't be possible to get skewed results that would indicate to him the vibe was faster...

That I certainly agree with!
I understand the concept of power to weight. But this is something I would have to see, I have driven both cars and the Vibe felt much slower than the G6.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Blackrider said:
I understand the concept of power to weight. But this is something I would have to see, I have driven both cars and the Vibe felt much slower than the G6.
Yes, but "feel" is a torque issue, not HP. My bud's S2000 "feels" alot slower than my 04 GTO did, but the S2000 was faster (well, not for long, but stock wise... ;) ). Torque can make a car feel much faster than it is.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The whole "feeling" thing reminds me of the die hard muscle car guys that brag about their chargers and novas but failed to realized they FELT much faster than they really were.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is 700 lbs less weight really gonna counter the fact that it has ~70 less hp, 100 less lbs torque, and is an auto?

Ive raced a friend in his GT-S Celica which has the 180 hp version of that motor, and hes got a 6 spd too, and it weighs ~2700 lbs IIRC, my GA weighs about 3050. 350lbs difference, both making same hp approximately, but mines got a little more torque probably and if i dont screw the launch Im usually always ahead at LEAST up to 60.

its 130 hp/126 tq in a car that almost weighs ~2800 lbs.. no way in hell, especially with an auto, its going to rip off 8.5-9 second 0-60's.

21 lbs per horse for the Vibe.
17 lbs per horse for the G6.

You sure you didn't have the beefier 1.8 in there?

THAT i could see.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Vibe did seem to be a little quicker until I began to drive the G6 again. I hated it for a week and didn't even drive it after I found the hole in the intake pipe. I've decided to keep my G6 for a while longer. I had pen in hand, $3K cash on the table, ready to trade the G6 in on an '05 Grand Prix GT when the dealers service manager came over and told me to hold off. He wants to personally go over all of my issues with it this coming Monday and promises to "fix everything." We will see if he does.

·
Registered
132 Posts
99blackSE said:
Is 700 lbs less weight really gonna counter the fact that it has ~70 less hp, 100 less lbs torque, and is an auto?

Ive raced a friend in his GT-S Celica which has the 180 hp version of that motor, and hes got a 6 spd too, and it weighs ~2700 lbs IIRC, my GA weighs about 3050. 350lbs difference, both making same hp approximately, but mines got a little more torque probably and if i dont screw the launch Im usually always ahead at LEAST up to 60.

its 130 hp/126 tq in a car that almost weighs ~2800 lbs.. no way in hell, especially with an auto, its going to rip off 8.5-9 second 0-60's.

21 lbs per horse for the Vibe.
17 lbs per horse for the G6.

You sure you didn't have the beefier 1.8 in there?

THAT i could see.
This is getting rediculous, all this speculation. Have you guys even played around with the Toyota 1.8? It's always been regarded as a powerful motor. Talk to the 4 speed auto Corolla owners who can pull off mid-16s in the 1/4 on sucky 13" tires and highway gearing.

The 180hp 1.8L isn't as "ballsy" as it seems. Both engines have almost the same power curves up to a certain point, but you have to RING out the 180hp version till it's screaming before you get any of that extra juice.

And no, considering the auto is not available with the high hp engine, it wasn't that one.

Guess my wife's old protege that would pull mid 16 quarters was just a figment of my imagination. Should be possible with 122 horses.

(lbs per hp is a barely an important factor, I can list cars all day long that blow that comparison out of the water).

Again, I'm NOT saying the Vibe IS faster, I don't believe it is, but they are CLOSE to each other and depending on improper factors, one could seem or even test faster depending on the situation.

·
Registered
199 Posts
ragingfish said:
I had a vibe before the g6. and that thing was slow as hell. it had a 0-60 time of 3-5 days. it's bs.

Right on!!!

I test drove a Vibe before I bought the G6 V6. That thing was so doggy even my wife wouldn't drive it. Sure it might keep up while the G6 is in first gear but once it hits second gear it starts pulling pretty good.

Neither of the above hold a candle to my 3.8L bonneville with the 3.05 final drive though. That thing will walk right past the G6 with little effort. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts