Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing is I am new here. I have a 2009 G6 GT nothing special its a sedan. I have a vibration when driving along with a wom wom sound. Im believe the wom wom sound would be a wheel bearing, but am not positive. Steering wheel does have a little play. Also, when I jacked up the front end each tire by itself with weight on the front and hold my hands at 12 and 6 there is no movement, but at 9 and 3 there is a decent amount of play and you hear it click when it does that also.
My question other then wheel bearings could I also have problems with cv axle, tie rods and or ball joints?
The car has 111,000 miles and hasn't had problems before.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Which way does the wheel wiggle? It could be a tie rod or ball joint. I'd also check the tread on all tires. One of mine has some separation and it causes a noise while going down the road. But since you can feel play in the wheel when its up in the air its likely a joint somewhere. Have you tried pulling the wheel and seeing if anything moves behind it? Like the tie rods or steering knuckle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which way does the wheel wiggle? It could be a tie rod or ball joint. I'd also check the tread on all tires. One of mine has some separation and it causes a noise while going down the road. But since you can feel play in the wheel when its up in the air its likely a joint somewhere. Have you tried pulling the wheel and seeing if anything moves behind it? Like the tie rods or steering knuckle?
If I hold it at the 9 and 3 position and wiggle it that way it moves a good distance and makes a click or pop sound.
I have not pulled the wheel and tried to see if anything moves behind it yet, but when i get my friend over here i will try that out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Past experience I've had was when a bearing starts too go, it will growl, and believe me you will hear it, unless the windows are up and stereo blasting. That wom wom or could it be a thump thump noise could be out of round tire or out of balance tire ,which will cause a vibration. Try a rebalance and rotation. And torque the lugs at 100 lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Past experience I've had was when a bearing starts too go, it will growl, and believe me you will hear it, unless the windows are up and stereo blasting. That wom wom or could it be a thump thump noise could be out of round tire or out of balance tire ,which will cause a vibration. Try a rebalance and rotation. And torque the lugs at 100 lbs.
tires are balanced and brand new. could warped brake rotors cause a wom wom sound?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts