Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been talked about many times, and I searched and searched, but didn't find an answer.
If you run 93 octane through a 91 tune, is that going to wreck anything, or make the tune not run properly?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
nah, it's like running 93 octane through your stock 87 tune. Won't do anything. MAYBE increase mpg a tiny tad bit

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.. Thanks for the responses!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Could you elaborate? I would naturally assume that running lower octane then required would cause knocking, whereas running a higher octane then required wouldn't cause knocking. Don't they sell octane booster as a way to get rid of knocking?

I'm probably missing something that I'm not even considering

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
Nah you are fine its called me replying with zero sleep and apparently being dyslexic LOL I read the question as can I run 91 octane on my 93 tune LOL

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah you are fine its called me replying with zero sleep and apparently being dyslexic LOL I read the question as can I run 91 octane on my 93 tune LOL
Happens to us all. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Thanks for that! I was wondering though, I heard somewhere that running to much octane can damage the catalytic converter. Tis true?

I run only the 93 which is what it's tuned for. BUT I recently ran some octane boost to go along with the finally frigid winter weather we were getting, Plus I put some NGK plugs in. Ran and felt like a champ! I don't plan to always run octane boost. Just every so often. haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts