Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I promise I have searched and searched, but get many conflicting answers....

I have an 05 G6 GT 3.5L sedan. I need to replace water pump. Have been looking for a simple walkthrough, but all I can find is for 2.4. I've seen conflicting opinions from it takes hours to it's just 3 bolts and is way easy.

Can anyone shed some light? Thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
1. Remove the air duct. 2. Loosen (do not remove) water pump pulley bolts. *Use a pry bar or long screwdriver to hold the pulley in place while loosening pulley bolts. 3. Remove the drivebelt. 4.Now, remove the pulley bolts and the pulley from the water pump. 5.Remove the 4 water pump mounting bolts, remove water pump. 6. scrap old gasket, (I use a putty knife and some lacquer thinner to get the old gasket material off ).7.Make sure the surface is real, and I mean real clean. Put a thin coat of RTV on both sides of the new gasket. 8.Place gasket and new water pump into position and install the pump mounting bolts until finger tight. 9. Everything good, then torque pump bolts 89 (in-lbs.) 10. Water pump pulley bolts to 18 (Ft. Lbs) 11. Put belt back on and air duct.12. Add the coolant, run engine, check for any leaks. Time limit? I guess it depends how mechanically inclined one is. Just take your time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts