Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a black G6 GT Sedan for 3 weeks now, and this is the first black car I've owned.
Question is............... how soon can I wax this car without damaging the clearcoat finish?
I've been using LiquidGlass for the past 6 years on my old 96 Grand Am and I love the way it worked on the white body color. But that was on a 1996 paint, and I have no idea how it would effect a new car, especially a black one.
I really have a wanting to wax this car, it is my first new one ( that I really like ) in 10 years. But I'd hate to put "spider veins" in the new car finish.
I've seen these new "spray on - wipe off" waxes, and am curious what others thought of these.
Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated by this Pontiac fiend.
Oh, by the way, I took off those rediculous looking GM emblems on the doors. What a complete waste of money they spent on putting those on.
:barf:
The car looks much better without them. I am hoping to find a simple Pontiac Emblem to replace them.
Thanks in advance for all advice.
GD

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can wax your car as soon as you take it home. Anyway, it's not like it was painted the day before you bought it. First thing I'd do, is to clay the car, even if it's brand new. You would be amazed at how much contaminents are bonded on the paint !

For the spray wax, IMO they're only good to maintain de "just waxed" look, not to actually wax a car. Once the car is waxed (with a real wax!), once in a while you'd spray the spray wax to have te car look like the day you waxed the car. Though, I'd recommend waxing your car every 3 months, especially since it's black. (My car is black also.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lamonpat said:
You can wax your car as soon as you take it home. Anyway, it's not like it was painted the day before you bought it. First thing I'd do, is to clay the car, even if it's brand new. You would be amazed at how much contaminents are bonded on the paint !

For the spray wax, IMO they're only good to maintain de "just waxed" look, not to actually wax a car. Once the car is waxed (with a real wax!), once in a while you'd spray the spray wax to have te car look like the day you waxed the car. Though, I'd recommend waxing your car every 3 months, especially since it's black. (My car is black also.)
Excuse the inexperience, but what exactly is "clay the car"? :eek:
I've been waxing cars for over 20 years and I've not heard this term before.
If you are referring to a good waxing with a hard wax ie.. Turtle Wax, Meguaries, California Gold, Liquid Glass, etc. than i know what you mean.
Thanks for the reply!
G

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, they really opened my eyes.
Looks like I've got some work to do!
G

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, before I thought my car looked good with only a wash and a coat of wax. At that time, it took me 1-2 hours to do the whole thing... Now it takes me at least 6 hours each time I do a full detail. This include : wash, clay, paint cleaner, polish and 2 coats of wax, then tire dressing. I know also dress the wheels wells !!! I know, I know, I'm a "bit" too anal about my car !

·
Registered
47 Posts
can someone post up the links there again - i'm getting a 404 error with the links that are there or can someone explain ""is to clay the car"" means ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
can someone post up the links there again - i'm getting a 404 error with the links that are there or can someone explain ""is to clay the car"" means ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
"Claying the car" refers to using a spray and an actual CLAY BAR to pull any dirt/grit out of ur paint job! I did it to my car and loved it! Im just wondering how to really get my car to "show quality"! lol

But Claying is a nice way to clean up ur cars finish

·
Registered
2 Posts
Consider Paint Sealer

Most auto spas use spinning brushes which wreak havoc on a black car.

Consider paint sealer instead of wax - your car won't look like you melted butter over it (Carnauba wax), but paint sealer lasts a lot longer (months).

PS - Wash with Dawn dish washing detergent to remove old wax.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This site has everything you could ever want to know about detailing a car. It gives good advice for everyone from a beginner to a pro.
autopia.org

·
IT'S BAD ASS IN BLACK!!!!
135 Posts
Just waxed my GXP in the Garage Friday Night. I started using P251 Carnuba but there was so much crap on my paint I got out the Mothers Carnauba cleaner paste wax..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts