Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever I start my 2008 2.4L G6 it makes this weird additional sound. It's been like this for about a year. It doesn't happen everytime I start it, only about 1/5 times. It doesn't seem like its affecting the overall quality of the car. Just concerned about it and wondering if this happens to anyone else?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
606 Posts
If it sometime has a rattle at start up, it probably just the valves bouncing off the pistons. It caused by the cam phaser not parking right on shut down.

I haven't heard of any ill effects. New phasers should fix it, it would be covered under powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
When ever I start my 2008 2.4L G6 it makes this weird additional sound. It's been like this for about a year. It doesn't happen everytime I start it, only about 1/5 times. It doesn't seem like its affecting the overall quality of the car. Just concerned about it and wondering if this happens to anyone else?

I have noticed my a/c compressor is a bit noisy at cold starts in my 2.4l & I have much less mileage than you.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
My compressor was also worked on, but here's the story. Brought it in for it's first oil change, they did a 27 point inspection (A/C was not part of it) I got it back and the A/C line caps were missing, they were there before. but not anymore, It soon developed a noise after. After some time it was low on fluid.
So they topped it up and replaced the belt. they also tightened the compressor because it was loose...
Got it back still made the noise, they replaced the belt again! it has since been kind of alright but I still fell something is wrong, The amount of drag I get from it seems more then it should be, but I'm not sure.

But no matter what when it was running and I had it in Drive or Reverse with my foot on the brake, it sounded like a diesel engine at idle.

That phaser problem is kind of worrying. I'll have to listen for that rattle at cold start

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
How long would you say it'll make the rattling sound for?
I've noticed sounds but I thought it was just a dry start as the oil was being pumped around...

205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It'll make the noise a second after you turn it on. It'll last maybe 2-3 seconds. It's just a very odd rattle that doesn't sound normal. I've never heard it on any other car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts