Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to plastidip my rims and I wasn't expecting the stream to be so strong. My rims look horrible now, the finish looks like it has lots of tiny bubbles in it, and that's not from overspray. I probably won't use plastidip again just because of a bad first experience.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
All plasti-dip I've seen in person looked terrible. But I've seen pics of some good work, nice smooth and even. So I guess its all in how you do it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car might be in more trouble than I thought, I bought the Plasti dip from Autozone and it turns out that it was Rustoleum leak seal. The guy that sold it to me said that it was Plasti dip with a different name because of marketing issues or some nonsense and I believed him. Well this stuff does not peel off of my rims, it's a hard and rough rubber coating. Any of you guys know how to remove this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the real Plasti dip by special order to my local hardware store, I just need to find out how to get this stuff off of my rims. And the guy apologized and gave me store credit at AutoZone

·
Registered
68 Posts
My car might be in more trouble than I thought, I bought the Plasti dip from Autozone and it turns out that it was Rustoleum leak seal. The guy that sold it to me said that it was Plasti dip with a different name because of marketing issues or some nonsense and I believed him. Well this stuff does not peel off of my rims, it's a hard and rough rubber coating. Any of you guys know how to remove this?
Holy shit dude.. U have a lawsuit on ur hands! U should get a brand new set of tires and rims paid for by autozone!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not looking for a lawsuit, I had only done my front 2 rims when I noticed the finish, and they only had 2 coats each. I just want a way to remove it without damaging my rims.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Menards and some other hardware stores sell brand plasti-dip.
you can try aircraft coating remover (available at Napa) and a plastic spatula of some sort to scrape it off. Other stripping agents may work as well.
You might have to get them stripped by a pro, but hopefully not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
**** that guy at autozone go make him take it off! but no really plasti dip is a good product and if you mess up peel it off and try again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts