Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only time it was ever mentionned in a GM press release they said it stood for the Grand Am heritage and the V6 that the cars are equipped with.

That doesn't make much sense though as they do plan for a 4 cyl model to be available later. Also if that's the case why would they name the current base model "G6 6 cyl"? That would be pretty redundant.

Other theories:
- Stands for the 6 letters following the G in Grand Am. (doesn't make much sense to me either).
- Stands for the 6th generation of Grand Am (my favorite, kinda like how the current Corvette is code-named C6).
- Stands for absolutely nothing but Pontiac want to rename all of their other cars and it places the GA between the others. In that theory the car replacing the Sunfire would be a G4, the Wave would be renamed G2, the GP G8, the Bonnie G10, etc. Doesn't make much sense to me either.

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
The only time it was ever mentioned in a GM press release they said it stood for the Grand Am heritage and the V6 that the cars are equipped with.

That doesn't make much sense though as they do plan for a 4 cyl model to be available later. Also if that's the case why would they name the current base model "G6 6 cyl"? That would be pretty redundant.

Other theories:
- Stands for the 6 letters following the G in Grand Am. (doesn't make much sense to me either).
- Stands for the 6th generation of Grand Am (my favorite, kinda like how the current Corvette is code-named C6).
- Stands for absolutely nothing but Pontiac want to rename all of their other cars and it places the GA between the others. In that theory the car replacing the Sunfire would be a G4, the Wave would be renamed G2, the GP G8, the Bonnie G10, etc. Doesn't make much sense to me either.
Is it true that G6 stands for 6th Gen, similar to my C5 Vette?

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
I think it's kind of a hybrid of explanations and circumstances. There happen to have been 5 previous Grand Am generations, hence G6. There were also 7 Grand Prix generations, making for the G8. However, the AFAIK the G5 and G3 (and the G2 sold in Mexico) don't correspond to prior model generations; it just seems to have transistioned into a corrolation with the size of the car :3stooges:

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
I think it's kind of a hybrid of explanations and circumstances. There happen to have been 5 previous Grand Am generations, hence G6. There were also 7 Grand Prix generations, making for the G8. However, the AFAIK the G5 and G3 (and the G2 sold in Mexico) don't correspond to prior model generations; it just seems to have transitioned into a correlation with the size of the car :3stooges:
I like the correlation between G6 and C5, and feel it lends a sense of heritage to the G6. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts