Pontiac G6 Forum banner

what does.....

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Perfessor 
#1 ·
what does everyone use to clean the chrome plated wheels on their gt??:bigear:

#2 ·
I usually just wipe them with a paper towel and that has seemed to work pretty good for me.

#3 ·
Wash them last after washing my car to get the majority of the dust and sand off. After some tire shine, I use glass cleaner to detail them and get them shiny.

I've used chrome polish once which did a good job also, but I lost the bottle. Glass cleaner works just as well.

#6 ·
Thats overkill. Unless you have excessive grime and caked out brake dust, shampoo and glass cleaner will clean them just as good as steel wool and degreaser without risk of diminishing the finish.

#13 ·
THIS

I get all my stuff from Griots. I don't know what I would do without their Speed Shine.

#9 ·
My brakes don't kick off a lot of dust and I clean my car once a week so shampoo gets them nearly perfect while glass cleaner gets the final touches and shine. I'd rather not spend money on something I don't need. :p I've heard some positive reviews about Griot's Garage though.

#11 ·
Shampoo = Car wash soap. I use Meguiar's Gold Class Wash. Smells nice and works wonderful. I wash my car first and then my wheels (with the same bucket and soap) because you don't want to risk cleaning your car with brake dust on your washing mitt.

#14 ·
not to bump this but i work as a detailer. If they are really bad we use degreaser then soap and wash it. tire shine the wheels and then wipe the tire shine off the chrome. glass cleaner works awesomely and if you have any stubborn water marks etc use very very thin steel wool. Hope that helps

#15 ·
even though its chrome plated, i use mothers chrome cleaner and thats works very good,

when i did my calipers i hand polished all my wheels,( you can see how shiny they are in my progression) and used a simple wheel polish from black magic

#16 ·
Personally, the only cloth that touches my car are microfiber towels - paint, wheels, glass. And there are many items and websites that carry cleaners, waxes, polishes, etc..., that do good to excellent jobs on the finish. For my car, since I'm in sunny South Florida, I use Poor Boy's World. they are (so far) the only products that I can use in full sun. Most of the others I've tried say 'in the shade'. And when they dry to a haze, it's more like it baked on. So, I'll stick with Poor Boy's. And they are not that expensive, either. You can also find lots of info at sites like "Autogeek.net" as they have a forum there. Like here, there are lots of people with all levels of experience.

Hope this helps someone. I tried not to ramble, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.