Pontiac G6 Forum banner

What gas mileage are you getting?

126K views 232 replies 141 participants last post by  08-2.4l dave 
#1 ·
Im just about through my first tank, and I only got about 17 MPG with some highway and soem city, not getting on it at all....

What kind of mileage are you getting and how many miles are on your car, i think mine just needs to be broken in, im only at 150 miles....

#3 ·
My g6 is currently at 1100 miles but I reset my fuel econ meter at 800. For that first 800, my meter read somewhere between 22-23 mpg. The vast majority of that was in town driving with speeds 35 mph and lower. I reset the meter at 800 miles because I was going on a 150 mile trip of highway driving and wanted to see what I would get on the hwy. For that trip the meter read just below 32 mpg.

#136 ·
Sorry if I sound stupid for not knowing how, but How did you reset your fuel econ meter?

Also just hit 100,000 miles getting 24 mixed right now. Just cleaned the throttle body a little and already brought my mpg up one mpg. I'm going to fully clean it somtime this week, to increase mpg, and also adding a K&K air filter so I'll let everyone know what the results are.

#8 ·
Yea, when im Driving the gas gauge is always lower than when i put it in park, it really shifts around a lot, I think the fuel sensors arent too great.

#11 ·
Im used to floating gauges (my Z would slam you around in the seat and easily exert ~1G when pressed, parking on a hill, stopping hard, etc.. I know how it is 'normally').. this is much different. Its almost like its 'estimating' how much fuel you have??? Hard to explain.

#23 ·
I have a new 2008 G6 convertible (love the car!) with the 3.9 HO. I have 520 miles on it, and I'm getting 19 MPG in town - I'm ecstatic about 19 MPG because the sticker said 15 MPG in town.

While I don't really hot rod the car, I don't drive like a grandma either (I do drive conservative, though, most of the time).

When you folks post your MPG, please try to include engine size, so we can make better comparisons.

Thanks, and have a great 4th!!

#25 ·
I got as high as 35.7 mpg on the highway today at about 65-70 mph, 3.5L V6 (18k miles) Sedan.

I filled up the tank, reset the mpg on the radio display and hit the highway without any stops. After about 25 miles I was still getting a steady 35.7. I'll be driving down to PA tomorrow (mixed city/highway and hills), I'll post what I get.

#26 ·
WOW! 35.7 for a 3.5 by GUNIA is awesome. I drove about 25 straight highway miles after a fill up today, and got 25 MPG from my 3.9.

BTW, I have the 4 speed auto. I would assume that the 6 speed auto would do even better, but GM decided not to do that to keep the price of the convertible as something we common folks could afford.

#28 · (Edited)
WOW! 35.7 for a 3.5 by GUNIA is awesome. I drove about 25 straight highway miles after a fill up today, and got 25 MPG from my 3.9.
I still get 28 mpg with mostly highway driving in my Impala (3.8L V6). I did get an average as high as 32 mpg. The 3.9 obviously has more power, but might also have more aggressive gearing. Also if you have larger rims, that adds additional weight to rotate...not to mention the additional weight of the convertible.

#27 ·
Ok came back from my little trip. Total miles 342.5. The radio display reads 30.1 mpg. I calculated 28.1 mpg. There is a little discrepancy, could be the method I use, but even a worst case average of 28 mpg is great.

The trip was about 70% highway (60-70 mph), 30% local (30-45 mph, lots of traffic lights, hills, no bumper to bumper traffic).

I was also using a fuel system cleaner during this trip, but I doubt that had an effect on the mpg.

I didn't check the tire pressure, but I usually have it at 33-34 psi. Engine oil and air filter was changed recently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.