Pontiac G6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Stabbin_G6 said:
Ok, but that is not a continuous run. After the first 10 minutes is up it shuts off, then you start it again. Am I reading this right?

Honestly, when it is cold out you only need to let your car warm up for 1 minute. Then it is safe to drive, but just go easy on it until the engine and tranny warms up. Anything over 1 minute is overkill IMO and can do more damage than not if left sitting idle for say 10 minutes or so.
Yeah, well you come climb your happy ass in a car that warmed up for one minute is sub zero temps and tell me how comfy you are ;)

Its still cold after the first full cycle.

· Registered
13 Posts
S8ER99 said:
Yeah, well you come climb your happy ass in a car that warmed up for one minute is sub zero temps and tell me how comfy you are ;)

Its still cold after the first full cycle.
I do since I have lived in MN for most of my life. I know what it is like to get in a cold car. The sooner you get driving the faster it is going to get warmed up. And yes, 1 minute is enough time for your car. My G6 warms up a lot faster than my Tahoe did. Obvious enough reason right there.

My G6 is now averaging 28 MPG :D I filled up one night after work and was getting 31 on the way home :eek: I can't wait until it warms up so I don't have to use the auto start and sit there waiting for it to warm up (just not 20 min like some of you) so I can get better gas mileage than what I am now.

EDIT: BTW, what kind of gas is everyone using. I don't mean what octane since it takes regular 87 (or whatever your state has for the lowest octane). But from what gas station? I use nothing but Quicktrip gas. Becuase it is a "Top Tier" gasoline and is 100% guaranteed meaning if I ever have a fuel related problem with any of my vehicles (using QT gas) they solve the problem. BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota all approve this Top Tier gas because the minimum amount of additives required by the EPA just isn't enough for them.
http://www.quiktrip.com/gasoline/TopTier.asp
Some of the other links on the left have more.

Other top tier gas stations include: Chevron, Conoco, Phillips 76, Shell, and Entec. I am suprised Mobil isn't on there yet
http://www.toptiergas.com/

· Registered
525 Posts
I owned a 400+hp modified lt1... gas mileage means nothing.. ;)

Im running 87 octane...no point in higher since the pcm isnt going to utilize it anyways..and no special treatment here... its just a g6.. i grab gas at the nearest station when Im low.

· Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 2006 used G6 with 6,000 miles on it. On the information screen it says that I am averaging 24 mpg in teh city, but I have only gone 90 miles and am already 3/8ths through my tank of gas. Since the tank hold 16 gallons and if I was getting 24 miles to the gallon then at a half of a tank I should be able to go 192 miles. But if I look at the odometer and see that I have only gone 90 miles through 3/8ths of the tank (roughly 6 gallons); 90/6= 15.

So I guess my questions is is the fuel gauge off or is the driver info pannel wrong because I am coming to 2 different conclusions...

· Registered
9 Posts
No I didnt factor in that the bottom half of the tank is smaller. If the bottom half was smaller wouldnt that mean that the first half of tank of gas would last longer than the second half of a tank? I have not yet reached the half way mark. I am at the hash mark between 1/4 and 1/2.

· Registered
107 Posts
pk2000 said:
Did you factor in that the bottom half of the tank is smaller?
The gas gauge tells you how the amount of gas in your tank, not where it sits in the tank. Therefore, that doesn't matter.

I'm getting just over 20 mpg combined driving. I warm it up for about a minute or two.

· Registered
105 Posts
Wonder If The Info Center Is Accurate

I Drive a 6 speed GTP Coupe and I drive in Canada in metric measures.

For the first 6 000 Kilometers, I got 12,3 liters/kilometers.

If I do a conversion it gives me 29 US Gals or 34 UK Gals.

But when I switch from Metric to English, the info center shows some 18 miles / gallon.

I don't know if it's US or UK gallons.... but 18 miles/gallon does'nt even compare with both conversion tables.

So I wonder if the info center is OK ???

· Registered
197 Posts
thedell19 said:
I just bought a 2006 used G6 with 6,000 miles on it. On the information screen it says that I am averaging 24 mpg in teh city, but I have only gone 90 miles and am already 3/8ths through my tank of gas. Since the tank hold 16 gallons and if I was getting 24 miles to the gallon then at a half of a tank I should be able to go 192 miles. But if I look at the odometer and see that I have only gone 90 miles through 3/8ths of the tank (roughly 6 gallons); 90/6= 15.

So I guess my questions is is the fuel gauge off or is the driver info pannel wrong because I am coming to 2 different conclusions...
I drove mine 10 miles after the low fuel light came on and the guage was sitting right on E the entire time. I could only get 13.5 gallons in the car after that so there is some error on the guage.

· Registered
105 Posts
thedell19 said:
I am also putting in octane 89... are most of you using 87? I thought with a 3 cylinder you should use 89???
3 cylinders? what are you smoking lol. 87 is recommended for the G6 so anyhting else is just a waste. As long as the engine is not pinging its ok to use a lower octane even on engines that reccomend premium.

· Registered
9 Posts
I must have been smoking something really good...lol. Yeah I meant 6 cylinders...

So there must be about 2-3 gallons of gas in a "reserve tank" or something... or it is possible tha the guage tells you it is empty when it really isnt so that you wont run out of gas? That would not be a bad idea... I know it is that way on my wife's Rodeo.

· Registered
9 Posts
OK so I fillied the car up yesterday (put 10.5 gallons in when it was 1/4th full) The info pannel said I got 24 miles to the gallon. However I drove 210 miles and if you do the math 210/10.5= 20 miles to the gallon. So there has got to be something wrong with the info pannel. This was a mix between highway and city (mostly city) which would make sense if it was actually 24 miles to the gallon. But it wasnt. I think when I get the chance I am going to take it to the GM dealer and have them take a look at it.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.