Pontiac G6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
averaged 23-24 for the first 500 miles, the next 1000 dropped down to 21-22 (mpg, US)

we just had a nice increase in temp of about 10 degrees here, and in the same day it shot back up to over 22. i have not been easy on it for the last 1200 miles or so (currently 1600+).

so i must be averaging WELL above 23 or 24 in order for a jump that fast, as i usually see it move by the tenths over the course of a day or so and it jumped a whole mile per gallon as i was beasting around going to job interviews. i haven't calculated the mileage myself lately though, i've been tossing in 5-20 in the tank and haven't filled up for a while.

i have a feeling that it'll average pretty high when the weather gets better. currently 40-50 degrees out to see the jump.

note that i'm letting the DIC average mileage for the life of the vehicle. next time i fill up i'll note the new mileage

(2.4 ecotec...)

· Registered
114 Posts
accidentally re-set the DIC yesterday...

re-set again on way home while stopped in rush hour for shits and giggles, and when i got to work today, have an average of 26.8 mpg.

going to re-set again before i leave work to see what i average one-way on the way home (always trying to get home faster than to work...)

also, coasting downhill we saw 99.9 mpg...

· Registered
114 Posts
re-set when i left work, when i got back this morning, averaging 24.6

i think mileage directly corresponds to average speed. the faster it is, the higher the mileage.

those with high mileage with the v6, what is the average speed?

· Registered
114 Posts
roughly 2400 miles. DIC indicated an average of 23.7 for my last tank (filled up this morning) and my calculations indicated 24.7xx. not too bad for 95% of driving being in rush hour. by the time i got to work today, it hit 23.9.

i'm going to be taking the bus, so i can't wait to see it go up even more, i should take a road trip...

· Registered
197 Posts
Vita said:
re-set when i left work, when i got back this morning, averaging 24.6

i think mileage directly corresponds to average speed. the faster it is, the higher the mileage.

those with high mileage with the v6, what is the average speed?
my average speed is usually between 35-37 according to the DIC and mileage is at 29 right now. I havn't reset the DIC for the last 4-5000 miles or so.

· Registered
73 Posts
G6~Mike said:
thats like 24mpg right?
thats horrible for a 4 banger :eek:
Well .....it will get improved later on when Spring times comes in Toronto. I did notice a big difference already since we have mild temperature for this whole week. Toronto is like that lots of stop and go even in major highways there are too many cars here. The 4 banger for the camery average around same thing. Or maybe I floor it too much ? :D I rev it up once in a while!!

· Registered
114 Posts
G6~Mike said:
thats like 24mpg right?
thats horrible for a 4 banger :eek:
it's not bad at all considering how heavy this thing is and how it moves. they could have been much more conservative on gearing and they'd average MUCH better than they do. i'm usually above 2k no matter what.

not to mention the ecotec is notoriously tight and is known to get better mileage with over 20-30k miles on them.

what 4 cylinders are you comparing it to?

· Registered
1 Posts
thedell19 said:
OK so I fillied the car up yesterday (put 10.5 gallons in when it was 1/4th full) The info pannel said I got 24 miles to the gallon. However I drove 210 miles and if you do the math 210/10.5= 20 miles to the gallon. So there has got to be something wrong with the info pannel. This was a mix between highway and city (mostly city) which would make sense if it was actually 24 miles to the gallon. But it wasnt. I think when I get the chance I am going to take it to the GM dealer and have them take a look at it.
I have about 17000 miles on my 2005 G6. I have learned that the MPG figure given by the trip computer on my car is between 10 and 15% higher than the actual value every time. I have not asked the dealer to look at it because I thought that they would not be able to fix it.

· Registered
114 Posts
car was still hovering at 27, calculated actual mileage at fillup last time, was at 24.5 or so.

began driving a little more "spirited" again to test this out. i'm now at 24.5 (this has been ALL city for weeks now) per the DIC, and will update at next fillup. (reset DIC EVERY fillup to calculate against my own numbers)

last time i calculated, mileage was actually above what the DIC indicated. this time it was below. both times were roughly the same per actual calculations. also of note is i just did my first oil change...

· Registered
46 Posts
My 3.5 SE1 has gotten 26.5, 26.7, 28.1, 26.6, & 27.9 on average per tank since I picked it up six weeks ago. That's calculated, not from the DIC. Mostly back country roads in upstate New York, and yes I drive like an old lady. My last car was a 2.4 GA and at best got 25 on the same routes, so I'm pretty happy. Somehow it still costs the same at the pump though, must be driving more.

· Registered
215 Posts
Most of my driving is in stop & go in the city. I'm getting 17 mpg according to the DIC and my own calculations. :( I do get just under 27 mpg on the hwy on the 2 road trips I've taken :) I have a 2006 GTP coupe with the 3.9L V6.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.