Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized on my Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L car tonight that I had a M1-M4.... I'm not sure if this goes to M5 when I get enough speed because I though it only went to M2 until I shifted to M2 tonight while driving, M3 and M4 appeared. Anyway, What is this whole thing about? is this really a "Manual/slapstick" option? I had never seen this before except in a VW Golf City I rented once, which I really loved about the car and I used it all the time.

:confused:

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts

If you car has additional slots with the symbols "+" and "-" on the shifter then you have the tapshift option. You can manually shift the gears without a clutch and the computer automatically shifts if the RPMs get too high or low. There is no M5 unless you have the 6 speed (which I dont know if it had the tapshift option). The numbers represent Manual [insert current gear].

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is frickin sweet, is it safe to use it all the time as apposed to the automatic? I much prefer the control of that... what about high speeds, does m4 replicate the regular drive at higher speeds?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Tapshift just gives you more control over your car. Less lag when you punch it and you control when it shifts. It is safe at all times. You might notice a small decrease in fuel economy since you will want to drive through the RPMs more and also you won't have as good of fuel economy shift timing as the computer.

If you don't have any idea when to shift, just monitor how the car shifts and downshifts when you drive in automatic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know when to shift no problem, all my cars were standard, then i got married... this is the best news! damn awesome, thx

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 2010 2.4l has a 6-speed tapshift..........WEEEEEEE!

G6Whitie

·
Registered
108 Posts
My fiance has an 07 GT with a tapshift and the night I drove my car home from the dealer, I didnt shift past M4 for a bit as I was so use to her car..........thought something was wrong when the RPM's were starting to skyrocket. I just gave it a tap and to my suprise, M5.................another tap and M6............another tap and still M6. Ha Ha.

G6Whitie

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
G6Whitie, do you have a 3.9L GT with the 6 speed? That usually requires an additional package since most GT's are the 3.5L with 4 speed.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I'm talking about your fiances 2007 G6 GT.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry, yes, my fiance has a 4 speed auto with tapshift. I have a 6 speed auto with tapshift.

And I didnt waste any money at all. I pay $3.26 a gallon for gas and fill up once a week. I used to pay $3.98 a gallon and fill up 3 times a week.

Dont hate bro.

G6Whitie

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I get 300 miles per tank on my G6 GT which lasts me a week. It all depends on driving habits though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, driving habits play a big part in things. I give myself plenty of time to get to work. I set cruise as soon as I get on Hwy 64 to 65mph, roll the windows down, and turn up the music.

I bought my G6 due to the styling, price, option to finally be able to take my 3yr old daughter with me places, and because my fiance had one and I loved driving it. Yeah she has a GT with a 3.5l in it but at the time I was driving to St. Louis 5 days a week for class at Ranken Technical College AND to work on the weekends. I opted to save on gas. I test drove my car before I bought it and it has PLENTY of power when I need it. (yes, even for the little 2.4l)

Im not here to start a war but you just cant get away from "those people" anywhere you go. Every forum has those smartass people that just cant be nice.

I bet your the kid in that video on YouTube thats chillin in his G6 with his lady when a Mustang pulls up with 2 older men. Dude has a video camera and is making fun of you and your car. You didnt say much when he said you shouldnt have wasted your money on a G6.

ANYWAYS, im going to enjoy this forum made for ALL G6's now. (yes, even my little 2.4l) Thanks.

G6Whitie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts