Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I just signed up and cannot get ANYTHING to come up in the searches.

Anyway, my question is: What RPMs does your 2.4L engine run at highway speeds? I have a 2008 G6 2.4L and it runs 3000 RPMs at 80 MPH. This just seems really high to me. We also have a 2011 Malibu with the same engine and it barely gets over 2K at 80. Fuel milage is really disappointing as well. Had my dealer look at it and they said everything is normal. Just wondering what others with the same car/engine are seeing with yours.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's normal it's just the way our cars are geared. Same engine won't mean the transmissions or gears/final drive will be the same

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I did some more research and you are both right. The '08 G6 has a 4-speed with a final drive ratio of 3:69:1 (yikes). 4th gear (OD) is 0.68:1. The '11 Malibu has a 6-speed with a final drive ratio of 2:77:1. 6th gear (OD) is 0.74:1. The difference there is huge.

Overall driveability is SO much better with the Malibu. The G6 is just plain awkward at time.

Thanks again!
Todd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts