Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the layout of the 8 speaker Monsoon w/out Onstar speaker system?
I believe the two front are 6.5, rear is 6x9. tweeters are 1"? Where are the other two speakers. Also, what is the low down on the monsoon system? Does it have an amp or what??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found some info:
Front: 6.5
Tweeters: 1.5
Rear: 3.5x5
Sub: 6x9

Question: how are the 6x9's a subwoofer? Is this b/c of a monsoon amp? Did anyone ever customize their soundsystem? I want to install Infinity Reference speakers. I still don't see the 3.5's when I look in the back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It does have an amp, on my wifes 03 Grand Am GT its in the trunk on the drivers side behind the liner but im not sure where it is on the G6 but its there somehwere and as for speakers all i can find are the 2 in the front doors, 2 tweets in the doors and the 6X9's in the back i dont know where speaker 7 and 8 are unless they r built into the 6X9's but i would think that if u dont like whats there take em out and put what u want in just keep in mind it might change the sound a bit depending on how many watts they take to be powered properly, thee Monsoon is only 200 watts and is running 8 speakers as it is and in my opinion doing a damn fine job cause i think it sounds great for factory rubbish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx. i brought it to an installer today and he agrees there is no 7 & 8 speaker. The monsoon has a good atmosphere and puts the music in the right spot, but can be taken much higher in quality. i'm stoked about that amp it has. has anyone ever put in that information center console when replacing the factory stereo? How well does it replace the original unit?
http://metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=99-3303

·
Registered
52 Posts
Speakers 7 & 8 are floating above the 6x9s. One 6x9 has a bracket housing that holds a tweeter on top of the 6x9. I had to remove pretty much the entire rear seats and sidewall pillars to get to the actual speakers. They don't drop out from the trunk, which makes it a pain to take out.

I know this b/c I thought I blew one of them b/c there was a lot of rattling coming from the speaker. After looking at it, the tweeter that floats above the 6x9 was coming off of the housing. All I had to do was apply some rubber cement and press it overnight and then reinstall.

There actually are 8 speakers! Who'd thunk it!?

Oh, and the amp is in the same location as it is in the Grand Am.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ya i found it today its just down a little farther, I wouldnt remove the factory head unit, in my experienced opinion all your doing is asking for a theiving low life to rip it off, hook an amp to the factory stuff, with a quality amp u can tune it to sound just as good, i did it in my Sunfire with a stock head unit and it worked great granted it had the built in eq which was kinda nice for that fine tuning in an instant and nobody wanted to scoop it.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just had a look at that kit and i dunno dude, i kinda think it kills the look of the dash and how it all flows together but to each their own do what makes you happy but u can get good sound from factory u just have to want it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts