Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used 08 G6 with 25000 miles on it. Got rid of POS passat that was sucking my bank account dry with repairs and gas, it was a turbo and sucked it up big time. I believe it is the base V6 model. Anyway, wanted to ask what is the first thing i want to do to this car. I have read a few problems with the brakes. Do people often upgrade the rotors and calipers or is the problem just a driving problem? Anyway, looking forward to owning this car and if anyone has an opinion than let me know.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
No....The rotors are crap.
You should have another 20k miles to go before you should have to address that though.
First thing?? Lets see....first thing I did was added contoured GM mudflaps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lampoon. Phew, I am a little gullible, but I was like "Oh hell, this forum isn't going to be of much help to me," but I am glad you clarified. I feel better now. Okay, but seriously. I think something needs to happen with the brakes after I wear these ones down. How about the suspension? It doesn't feel as good as i would like it to. A little "pingey" if that makes sense.

·
5,348 Posts
I dont know much about that. Mine rides like a dream. Could be your tires....
My stock continental Conticrap tires were horrible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you going for visuals or performance first?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Start small. I think the OEM brakes are semi-metallic. I know that my 09 gt has squealers on it and they're driving me insane. I'm going to look into ceramic brakes or even a slightly higher performance pad+rotor when I save up a little more cash.

I picked up my car a few weeks ago and I started by removing the lower intake resonator. Do a little search on here and you'll find a thread on it. With about an hour for an inexperienced person, it's a pretty easy mod and it is a very safe one to perform. You won't have any problems (check engine light) and you might learn a little bit or become a little bit more brave to tear into your car when something starts going wrong...oh yeah, its a FREE mod

·
5,348 Posts
I wouldnt mess with that unless you get an intake.

Best free mod is to debadge it...IMHO.

As for the brake issue.....I got R1 dimpled/slotted with Bendix Ceramic on the front and Akebono Ceramic pads on teh back. Coming up on 50k on them and they still work like day one. I dont remember what I spent on them. You can do an internet search for them though.

You can see them a little bit in this pix I took when I was playing around with center cap ideas...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts