Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2005 G6 GT (Stealth Grey Metallic) exactly one month ago today and am trying to decide where to go from here.

So far I have
  • New floor mats - It came with carpet but we got hit with 4 inches of snow three days after purchase and I was not liking kids with dirty boots tracking road salt into my back seat. Went with Husky custom-fit all-weather mats because we love the set in our Jeep so much.
  • Patched and repainted rear bumper - We were rear-ended on the way home from the dealer about 20 minutes after signing purchase papers by a guy who turned out to have a fake insurance card, so we had to eat the cost of this repair, but took advantage of it being in the shop to have some chips in the rear driver-side door touched up as well. Rest assured, we're still trying to get the goon to repay us for the cost of the bumper work, but he's dodging phone calls now so it'll probably be awhile before we recover that money (it will probably go back into the "car repair-and-upgrade fund")
  • Installed amateur radio - Yes, I know, we're geeks and I'm probably the only one on this forum with a ham radio in the car, but in semi-rural MO it's good to have a backup communication device.

On my to-do list (in no particular order) as the budget allows
  • Replace factory head unit - I like it, generally speaking, but ours has a six-disc CD eater instead of a changer and no aux-in, so it's going to be replaced with a newer model when it warms up a bit. We'll probably try to snag a single-disc '08 head unit off of ebay when the time comes.
  • Tint windows - I'm not sure how dark we'll go, but I love the tinted windows on our Jeep (look good and keep the sun off the kids on long car rides). I always wanted to do it to my old car (2000 Contour) but kept putting it of because we were always planning to get rid of it in a year or so and didn't want to put a bunch of money into it.
  • K&N air filter - Hubby swears by them and it's always good to let him feel involved too :)

Any other ideas? As far as I can tell, it was completely stock when we bought it so we're starting from a relatively blank canvas.

· Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Tint is always first for me. The contoured mud flaps looks good.
Dont bother with a drop in K&N unless your financially unable to buy an intake.
Also since the DIC is there I recommend you buy a single disk 2008 G6 radio as they
have an AUX (for iPods & such) and dont have the CD changer issues...PLUS you get to keep your DIC.

· Varsity Squad
751 Posts
Congrats on your 6 and welcome to the site. I was extremely inpressed with difference tint made in the look of my car, but yeah that is a great thing to do. I did not notice painting the calipers on your list, but I recommend doing that. The K&N drop in is a good idea to increase MPG's but a full intake will do even more, and your hubby can make sure a K&N cone filter is used.

· Registered
70 Posts
Hello fellow stealth grey owner!

Yep, tint is a must. Some other things I have done with mine are:
Chrome recessed upper and lower grilles. (AKA front end makeover)
Tinted tail lights (Bright red is too much on the stealth grey)
Black overlays, they look nice instead of the red.

I also just got the GM body kit, which is subtle, but makes the 6 look much better.

K&N drop-in filter is better than stock but show your hubby this - http://www.crabintakes.com/index.html. He might like it, AND O3 comes with a K&N cone filter. :)

The stealth grey's seem to be pretty rare around here, we gotta stick together!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I think tinting the windows will probably be our next project and plan to get quotes on that in the next week. We've had a few surprise expenses come up this month (not car-related for a change!) so it may have to wait a few weeks, but from what I've read about the cost for other people, it shouldn't take too long to make it into the budget. After that, the head unit has to go, but it looks like there's a pretty steady stream of '08-'09 head units on ebay, so that shouldn't be too much trouble to get.

We'll do some research on air filters and intakes and make a decision soon. We do a day trip to St. Louis (~220 miles roundtrip) about once every 6 weeks or so to visit family but otherwise just drive around our small town most of the time. There are probably as many stop signs as people in our town, so that kind of kills my mileage, as does sitting in line when I pick up my kids after school, so there isn't a whole lot I can do to improve my MPGs, but a girl can try!

I plan to dump a bottle of Chevron Techron in the next time I fuel up. I haven't seen much mention of it on this forum (haven't really been looking though), but it seems to have helped a lot on our Jeep to clean the fuel injectors and we have some leftover from a BOGO sale at AutoZone so I might as well give it a try. My G6 just rolled over 89K miles so a little extra love could go a long way :)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@DG1239

I LOVE stealth grey! My kids call it the "chameleon car" because you never know what it's going to look like each day. Sometimes it's blue, sometimes grey, sometimes it's kind of green... but it's always pretty!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.