Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, im in the market for a 06-07 g6 gtp. Looking to spend around 11-11500 which is reasonable for some of the ones iv seen.

Any big issues i should look for before buying this car, the gtp in particular? Common problems and such...

Got a friend with a gtp grand prix, and over 100k miles its still running like a champ. Hopfully i can expect the same with the g6.

Id appreciate all of the input i can receive, thanks!

· Registered
638 Posts
if i were to choose between an 06 or an 07 gtp id take the '07 it would have the 3.6L V6 and the 6spd auto trans, the same as the 08 and 09 GXPs rated at 252hp where as the 06 gtp comes with the 3.9L V6 and 4 spd auto unless you find one with a 6 spd manual. they are rated at 240hp i do beleive.

· RAM AIR!!
266 Posts
The 06 GTP's have hydraulic steering also. I have had my car for over 4 years and its still running like a champ with 55k on it. I would kinda like to sell it to get a another daily driver but I will probly keep this car for a awhile longer. I am probly going to just sell my solstice though so I can get another toy to play around with.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey i recently test drove an 09 gxp. It was equipped with the 6spd auto. Man what a sweet transmission. It shifts fast and hard you can really feel it shift.

But anyhow im also looking at an 07 gtp with the 6spd auto and havnt gotten the chance to test drive it due to its outa town.

my question is are the transmissions identical for the gxp and the gtp? Will you get the same hard shifts? Because i really like the hard shifts in the gxp that you can really feel, and after all, theoretically increases transmission life due to less friction for a bonus...

· Registered
638 Posts
They have the same tranny yes, I don't think they shift that hard but thats my opinion.

just to clarify again the GXP and GTP transmissions are the same ONLY if the GTP is a 2007 model year. the 2006 gtps have a 4 spd auto trans.

so you are good with the gtp if you get the 07 u are looking at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.