Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my first post, sorry to come with a problem right away!

A little background. Usually I would get about 340-350 miles to a tank on my 2005 G6 GT (V6). Lately that has dropped to about 220-240, which I feel is pretty dramatic. I just filled up yesterday, drove 25 miles, and my gauge is reading almost 3/4 tank!! What could be the issue here? I realize that it is winter and the cold weather may have something to do with it, but 100+ miles difference seems a bit extreme.

I've read things about fuel filters getting clogged, and they're in the gas tank and are costly to replace. I've read things about changeing plugs, running chevron with "techron" fuel through it, running fuel treatments through it, and just punching the gas to clean out the cobwebs.

A couple years ago I was getting my oil changed. The technician told me that the car had no fuel filter and that I was just supposed to run a tank of fuel injector cleaner thru it every so often, maybe I didn't do this as much as I should have? Maybe he was full of sh*t?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
61 Posts
It could be caused by a variety of things, and if i were you, just to get a little jump start on things i would run to auto zone or something and get a free diagnostics check on their computers. Its free, and its never a bad thing. I would have them check everything even alternator charging and all the good stuff.

Im just saying this because well, the possibilities are wide open with a gas mileage problem, just one little thing not working right could cause that.

Also running fuel treaters through all the time is not good for the powertrain. Those are meant to be used once in a great while..

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Clogged fuel injector will do that.

Its a Techron additive. Its safe and effective. ;)

I get right at 380-400 miles a tank but I have a few goodies on it that help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.