Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Proud G6 Owner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting a wheel alignment done on my car since I've yet to do so since getting my new tires put on. There's still a minor shake when I travel at top speeds on the highway but nothing nearly as bad as it once was with my old tires.

The question is, with all these potholes & bumps on the roads where I live, wouldn't that just throw it off all over again if I were to get an alignment done?

Share me some feedback.
Thanks.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Vibration at high speeds means you need them balanced.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tire balancing equalizes weight variances on the circumference of the tire. This is what causes vibration. New tires made a a difference because when you mount a tire, you balance it. (I guess you could mount without balancing, but I've nebver heard of anyone doing that.

Alignment, adjusts the tires position in relation to the road, camber, caster, toe, the easiest of these to mention being camber. Camber is essentially the angle the tire leans against the road. The other two are important as well, affecting handling, pulling, and most importantly tire wear.

Is an alignment worth it? The way I see it, if I invest a lot of money into something, I want it to perform at its best and for a long time. An alignment is maintence that can make the difference between a crappy driving car with the tires wearing out sooner than they should and a car that is a pleaseure to drive, with tires that will last a long time.

I always align with tires, and check every year, to keep them wearing well.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
One of the tires may not have been properly balanced if you are still having vibrations. There is also a chance that you have play in a front end component causing the vibration. Alignments can cause premature tire wear and can rob MPGs also. It is best to have the alignment checked when new tires are installed to protect your investment.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I purchase a tire alignment every time I have my oil changed.
That sounds like a waste of money to me. Common sense is that if nothing is wrong, then why pay money for it?

·
Proud G6 Owner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchase a tire alignment every time I have my oil changed.
Alignment check you mean?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to first pay a visit at the shop I purchased my tires and have them rebalance my tires. If I still feel the vibrating, I'll look into getting my car's alignment checked.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to first pay a visit at the shop I purchased my tires and have them rebalance my tires. If I still feel the vibrating, I'll look into getting my car's alignment checked.
I do have one quick question; who did you purchase the tires from?

·
Banned
211 Posts

check and tire rotation, not full out alignment.. accident, sorry! :eek:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't really know how a shop does a alignment check, but I suppose you could check the toe really easily with a tape measure. Just measure from the center tread of one tire to the center of tread of the other tire, both in front and behind the tire. For the camber I suppose you could use a level and compare each tire. I think it is suppose to have a slight negative camber (top of the tire in) when the weight of the car is on it.

That's my best guess on how its done. Don't take my word on it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Your concepts are correct, but the scale is off. Unless you can measure in the precision of .01" for toe, and .1 degree, you will not be able to do any kind of alignment in your driveway. Maybe a basic one to limp a crashed car to the shop, but not anything precise. I don't even know if you can figure ackerman angle on paper?
The shop will have alignment tools with all sorts of precision up to and including LASERS!.
Trust us, it is worth the time and money to have a pro check the alignment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts