Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08' GT 3.5L. I just replaced the front and rear (struts, mounting plates, boots, rotors and pads, and tires) I have 46kmi on it. I am noticing a kind of wuuuurrrr sound coming from my front left tire.

I will admit i found a little ditch last year on the side and mainly that tire. I am wondering whether its the wheel bearing or hub i should replace. I would rather do only 1 since both pieces are pricey. If anyone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Struts were KYB excel G-2, KYB plates and boots. Brakes were EBC crossdrilled and slotted rotors, Akebono Pads.

Tires-Yokohama Avid ENVigor, I went to 235 50 R17. 10mm wider than stock. I will admit, gas mileage down a little, but my ride in my car now feels like a new Mercedes. Just want to figure out the left front tire.:confused:

· GTP 06
588 Posts
To my knowlage, you can't user replace the bearing in the hub, (unless you take it to a machine shop and can find the bearing) You have to replace the hub assembly. Mine went out and this is how i pin pointed what it was.
1. put blocks in front and behind the rear tires
2. Jack up the right front of the car so the tire is a few inches off the ground
3. Start car, turn traction control off if you have it, Hold Brake and put in drive.
4. Let off brake and let right tire spin up to ~40 mph. You should hear nothing if the right bearing is not bad
5. Hold brake and put back in park.
6. Let down right side and jack up left side. Do the same with left side. Spin up to ~40
7. if you hear wrrrrrrr with the no weight on the hub, it is bad.
8. Replace hub assembly for left.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Kevin, did that last night, and it definitely still makes that noise. So i ordered a timeken hub and bearing assembly off amazon for a great price, 103.00 with free shipping. This should fix my noise and smooth out the ride even more.

But for all, I spent after installation $1,113.52 for the brakes and suspension replacement. Would have costed $2,300 if I didnt go and buy the parts online and go to my mechanic who gives me 25% off labor. And at 2,300, I would have gotten shit parts too. It was well worth that investment to have a car that rides so smooth you only hear the bumps a little.

· Registered
27 Posts
Thanks, Kevin, did that last night, and it definitely still makes that noise. So i ordered a timeken hub and bearing assembly off amazon for a great price, 103.00 with free shipping. This should fix my noise and smooth out the ride even more.

But for all, I spent after installation $1,113.52 for the brakes and suspension replacement. Would have costed $2,300 if I didnt go and buy the parts online and go to my mechanic who gives me 25% off labor. And at 2,300, I would have gotten shit parts too. It was well worth that investment to have a car that rides so smooth you only hear the bumps a little.
I hope you did this as a pair. These hubs are tuned to it. I also had to replace the hub in my car and the one I thought made the most noice was not the one that did. Best to do them both. Good choice on the Timekens. That is what was in your car OEM.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In all honesty, I only ordered the ONE. I just put a little over 2 grand into the car, and have a mortgage, car payment, and insurances to pay for as well. I have a decent job to pay for all of this, but right now I am tight on cash, and I did the test to see which one it was, and DEFINITELY the driver side only.

I do agree with your sentiment to do both, but thats an extra 150 i really dont have at this moment. I will do it in the near future, in maybe a month or 2, not long from now. But the driver side needs it badly, so that is my priority. I plan on making this car last the next 5-7 years, so I will stay on top of the maintenance.

I use Amsoil 5W-30 Fully Syn and K&N filters, Amsoil tranny fluid, so the car is VERY sound. It was just after all the suspension upgrades and tires that I noticed the hub/bearing noise.

· Varsity Squad
751 Posts
You really only need to replace the hub assemblys one at a time, and kevin is right that you can't just replace the bearing as they are part of the sealed hub assembly. People recommend doing them in pairs because they are wear items and if one went then the other probably isn't far behind, but if you hit a ditch on that side then that can cause problems for the bearing also. The reason your gas milage went down is because you went with shorter tires so your wheels are spinning faster to get where you are going.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Cal,

one other thing i should point out is i got hit on the right side with 28k on the car. 82 yr blew a red light, figures. But they replaced my whole right side front end basically, so that hub only has about 18k on it, left side has full 46+.

· Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Cal,

one other thing i should point out is i got hit on the right side with 28k on the car. 82 yr blew a red light, figures. But they replaced my whole right side front end basically, so that hub only has about 18k on it, left side has full 46+.
Knowing that now I agree one is called for. That is information I didnt have. When I had to replace mine I had 100000 on it and both we making some noise. One much more than the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.