Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

New poster here, I purchased a 2009 G6 in April. It's just the 4 cyl, nothing fancy. Not bare-bones base model but nothing spectacular, either.

Anyway, I've noticed a thudding sound when driving. It gets faster as I accelerate, obviously slows down as I slow. Slight shaking of the steering wheel at higher speeds, as well.

Does this sound like wheel bearings? It's going into the shop tonight for service tomorrow but I was kind of hoping to have some idea of what it might be before they look at it. I've been using the same mechanic for years so I'm not worried about getting shafted.

Thanks,
Lala

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
It could be a wheel bearing, it could also be a tire. I have a thudding as well that tracks with the car's speed, tracked it down to a tire in the beginning stages of tread separation. At lower speeds I can feel it through the car (its a rear tire) and I can hear it more at higher speeds. It could also be a brake issue but that is less likely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks. I actually have been thinking about replacing the tires anyway because of road noise. The original owner put low-profile tires on it, and I hate the road noise. Looks like I'll be spending some money either way, huh?

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts