Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 5 star 18" wheels that are the silver brushed aluminium that are on the GXP. Can anyone tell me the best stuff to use on these wheels to make them look as clean and shiny as possible? Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have 17 inch chrome on my 08 GT, i just use windex for a streak free shine lol

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
Keep in mind that many newer factory rims these days are clearcoated, regardless of their "finish". If your rim is clearcoated treat it the same as you would your paint.

I know of some Chevy truck rims that belong to a guy that didn't listen to me and used an acid-type product that a "pro detailer" gave him. They look really cool now after a good rain and a bunch of water gets trapped beneath the clearcoat that's still somewhat stuck to the rim. Like juke box bubbles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the crome clad wheels, and I use the eagle one wheel and tire cleaner. Mothers also has an all wheel and tire cleaner. It was like 6 or 7 bucks from autozone. It worked great. So well in fact, that I bought the power cone and was able to remove brake dust from my 96 monte carlo that I thought I would never get off. I used to scrub those things with soap and water, but it didn't even get a bit of it off.

Can't wait till I replace the brakes with upgraded rotors and ceramic pads. bye bye brake dust.

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
used to work at a tire shop for 9 years through highschool and some college, but This I can tell you is the best stuff.
1. Do not use on non clear coat finishes
2. Wet wheel down
3. spray on heavy and let sit for about 1 minute. "keep out of sunlight"
4. rub with a soft brush or wash cloth
5. rinse off and you now have like now wheels.
You can get this stuff almost anywhere, autozone, advanced auto, ect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used the eagle one wheel and tire cleaner today and it worked great. I liked the fact It cleaned both the wheels and tires.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I have a strict process of cleaning the rims with car soap, rinse, let dry, wheel shine the tires, then use glass cleaner on the rims.

I have the chrome 17".

·
!
127 Posts
Sorry guys... i feel like I let us all down...

I have the 16in ten spoke stock rims, and I gave up on cleaning the brake dust off. I've replaced the stock brake pads with ceramic brake pads, and I still get excessive brake dust on the front wheels. I've become so accustom to it that I want to paint my rims that color. (at least all four would match!) LOL! I can't wait to try some different brake pads (and rotors for that matter) Screw the OEM replacement parts. I wonder if the Impala SS Front brakes would work?? Any Who? I've been using McGuire's all wheel cleaner... It's OK... I still have to wipe every spoke down with a rag if I want them to look good.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Sorry guys... i feel like I let us all down...
You did let us down. OEM parts suck. :p Get hawkpads and some drilled rotors.

·
!
127 Posts
Ya... I gotta do something. I was looking at e-bay brakes, 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads pretty cheap. But I think cheap parts are cheap parts. like buying brakes from Harbor Freight.:eek:
(back to topic)
Any way.. I think I'll look into the power ball wheel cleaner gadget. seems like people like it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have solstice rims and i use STONER brand INVISIBLE GLASS...it looks awesome after i use it, looks almost polished...it really lifts the brake dust out...if its safe for my tint its safe for my rims!:D

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Ya... I gotta do something. I was looking at e-bay brakes, 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads pretty cheap. But I think cheap parts are cheap parts. like buying brakes from Harbor Freight.:eek:
(back to topic)
Any way.. I think I'll look into the power ball wheel cleaner gadget. seems like people like it.
Brakemotive e-bay rotors are actually decent. A few G6'ers have tried them and give them good reviews. They aren't meant for racing. They also have decent reviews in other communities too.

·
Banned
211 Posts
I like Eagle One premium foaming wheel cleaner.. You just spray the foam on, power wash it off after 30 seconds, then dry with cloth. Works wonders, it's cheap, and I like not having to scrub my wheels.. lol :beer:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey was wondering is it safe to use Merguiars Hot Rims All Wheel cleaner on the factory stock steel rims? There is a caution on the back of the bottle, saying not to use on anodized, magnesium, un-coated or power-coated wheels? Do stock rims fall uner power coated wheels?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts