Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but could not find anything. How do you replace the wheels suds on a G6?

Thanks

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I hate to see a question like this go unanswered but helping is our main goal. Have you looked on G6 Performance? Those guys do a lot more mechanical stuff there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, look at G6 Performance and only found a post about the rear ones. I need to replace one in the front.

What I really need to know is if the hub needs to be removed in order to remove them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed all 5 studs and lugs today using the following. Only change is that I used a hammer to get the old studs out. Total Job was $23 and about 1.5hrs

Wheel Stud Replacement
Tools Required

J 43631 Ball Joint Remover
Removal Procedure

Object Number: 1233046 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
3. Remove and support the brake caliper and bracket as an assembly, and remove the brake rotor. Refer to Front Brake Rotor Replacement .
4. Rotate the bearing hub to a position where the least amount of interference between the stud and the steering knuckle exists.
5. Using the J 43631 , release the wheel stud from the bearing hub and discard the stud.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 1233071 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
1. Install the NEW stud into the bearing/hub assembly.

Add enough washers (1) in order to draw the stud into the hub.
2. Install and tighten a wheel nut (2) until the head of the wheel stud is fully seated against the back of the bearing hub flange.
3. Remove the wheel nut (2) and the washers (1).
4. Install the brake rotor, and install the brake caliper and bracket as an assembly. Refer to Front Brake Rotor Replacement .
5. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation .
6. Lower the vehicle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good write up! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
346 Posts
a good ol hammer would do the trick. At least it worked on my truck.
Last time I replaced studs on my 96 Eclipse, I just used a hammer as well. Hit it once, hit it twice, and the 3rd time pops it out smooth like ice. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts