Pontiac G6 Forum banner

When The Heart Rules The Mind

6K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  MattInSoCal 
#1 ·
GT-R on order.

That is all.

#3 ·
lol, you are going to LOVE it. i've only had mine on since like late NOV so no window down weather yet :( i can not wait till summer lol so i can have the windows down nd not have the play the radio haha. your sooooo gonna love it w/ the top down lol. do one thing tho, get rid of the 3rd cat if ur newer then 07 which if i remember right you are lol.

#4 ·
$100 off, yes! Although the shipping was $98 so I suppose you could look at it as full price w/free shipping :rolleyes:

And I'll check into the 3rd cat deal - they said that for 08's & 09's there's some cutting & welding needed, which puts it completely out of DIY territory for me :eek:

Thanks for the advice!

BTW anyone get my thread title reference :-D ?

#6 ·
well has it shipped yet? if it hasnt i wonder if on request they will send you the strait pipe piece everyone else gets instead? all i did is get a piece of t304 stainless the same size of pipe but to the right lenght and cut off the flange from the old exhaust and welded it on the pipe.

oh damn i think i just remember reading somewhere that NJ has emission inspection? if that the case then mabey its not such a good idea lol. we dont have inspections here :)

#7 ·
Emissions testing, that we do :(

So I guess I'm stuck with teh 3rd cat; FWIW I have a post (that no one has replied to yet) on the "other" forum asking about the performance differences w/ & w/o it.

And Keith it's not from a movie ;)

#9 ·
Partial credit - it does involve a song with that title but you didn't give the specific connection, although it's a pretty obvious one :cool:

And after further research I've decided to leave the 3rd cat on; even though it's bogus in that the same car two years older doesn't have one and would pass without it, it's illegal & subject to fine in NJ to tamper with/remove any stock cat so I'm just not going to mess with it, even though it's likely they wouldn't discover it since it doesn't throw a code if you remove it :bash:

#15 ·
Are you on someones payroll? Seriously, I think everyone knows that you hate our exhaust, you post the same message on every exhaust thread. We really didn't want to make this post, but damn dude, give it a break.

You haven't even heard our exhaust in person, which sounds totally different from the vids.

I apologize to the forum, for making this type of post, it's just that after a while it gets really old.

#13 ·
Actually I probably won't bother with a video only because there's a lot of other vids up already plus I know from my last car that vids never give you a true sense of good it really sounds :beer:.

Then again, maybe I will :D

#18 ·
Doh! Didn't catch the dig in Fuzz's post :bash: Ah well, you can't please everyone no matter what you do. I'm more than convinced that I'm going to really like it based on the testimonials of those who actually have it :dogpile:

#19 · (Edited)
Sorry that I've posted it so much. It's just my opinion and maybe you're right. Maybe it does sound a lot better in person. From the videos I've seen, there is a lot of "rollover" and I want to avoid that as much as possible because I think it sounds like something is wrong with the car.

I know that it's hard to avoid rollover no matter what you do with the exhaust, but that's why I'm going to keep it fairly restricted. I'd rather have it sound gorgeous than have the extra performance.

I hope to get my exhaust done over the summer and I'll definitely post a video when it's all said and done. The sound I'm going for is more like the 350z/g35. I don't want a deep sound that's almost like a v8. I want it to distinctly sound like a v6....kinda like this

#20 ·
Sorry that I've posted it so much. It's just my opinion and maybe you're right. Maybe it does sound a lot better in person. From the videos I've seen, there is a lot of "rollover" and I want to avoid that as much as possible because I think it sounds like something is wrong with the car.

I know that it's hard to avoid rollover no matter what you do with the exhaust, but that's why I'm going to keep it fairly restricted. I'd rather have it sound gorgeous than have the extra performance.

I hope to get my exhaust done over the summer and I'll definitely post a video when it's all said and done. The sound I'm going for is more like the 350z/g35. I don't want a deep sound that's almost like a v8. I want it to distinctly sound like a v6....kinda like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8yH1Ojs0Io
When you're done, it will not sound like the Nissan 350z. Not even close.

While the sound of a V8 verses a V6 will never be the same, the sound of a Nissan 350z will also differ from your G6. The bore and stroke is very different, which has a lot to do with the actual sound. That is why a G6 with the 3.5 sounds a little different from the 3.9, and the 3.6 sounds completly different from both.

#21 ·
I know exactly what you're saying. I'm just trying to say that I don't want it deep like what I've been hearing. I'm going to change one part at a time with temporary clamps until I reach my desired sound. It will take me a month or two to complete it(because shipping takes forever), but once I get the parts I need for the sound I want, I'm going to get mandrel bent pipes and weld it all together.

I think that most of the parts will be from Vibrant Performance. I've used their resonators before and they make nice products. If not, then I'll either go with Borla or Magnaflow. I'm not afraid to try one of their products and then remove it because I don't like the way it sounds...I try my best to "do things right the first time" and if it doesn't work the first time, then I don't move on to the next project until I fix my mistakes.

My car won't ever sound like the video I posted, but I was just trying to give an example...I was trying to show that nice sounding exhaust isn't that hard to come by, but bad exhaust is found VERY easily. Until I hear a video of the GT-R exhaust that makes shivers run up my spine, I'm not going to buy it. I'm not saying that the GT-R sounds bad, I'm just saying that I don't want that. I've already had 3 obnoxious cars. I spent over 2 grand on my last exhaust because I went the "easy way out" the first time around and then came back and did it the right way the second time. This time I plan on doing it the right way and doing all the welding myself instead of having some high school kid at Midas do the ugliest welds I've ever seen in my life again.

#22 ·
Well I was able to get the GT-R installed on Tuesday and wanted to give an "initial experience" writeup but hadn't had time until now (actually wrote this last night and posted on the "other" forum and only just now got the wonderful idea to copy n paste it here :p) -

My experience is probably somewhat skewed due to having to leave the 3rd cat in (thanks NJMVS!) as I'm sure removing that would help out a lot in this regard, but so far I would have to say there's definitely less low end torque. Not saying it's any slower but you don't get the "pinned in the seat" feel that the stock setup had (and which I was quite surprised at on my initial test drive :banana:). The power is still there but it's more of a "linear buildup" for lack of a better term.

One thing I was a bit surprised at is the power at highway speeds has not increased. On my way home from work the speed limit goes from 55 to 65 right before a short bridge and I would always punch it in 3rd gear and be up to 65 by the time I got to the end of the bridge. I figured for sure I would get there a bit quicker now but I still hit 65 at the same spot. Maybe if I was more of a speed demon I would have seen a difference at even higher speeds :axechase:

One area that IS hugely different is "cruising ability" - with the stock system I had to keep it in a lower gear up any sort of hill or the car would just run out of steam, but now I'm able to keep it in 3rd up a 35 mph incline and in 4th up a 50 mph incline and not lose any power at all. I'm hoping that this translates to higher gas mileage since I'm running the higher gears; haven't had to fill up yet so I'll have to let y'all know how it turns out once I do get gas.

Oh forgot to mention the sound - at idle, this thing is pure :bow: I could stand there and listen to it until the gas ran out :D :D :D On acceleration, it's not quite the sound I would have liked; not saying it's bad and it's hard to describe what I don't like about it, but it just seems a little off for whatever reason. I think I'm getting used to it even over the past few days, though :bravo:

So in conculsion, there are a couple shortcomings but I'm definitely 100% glad I got it :beer:

#23 ·
Even though they weren't demanded, I'm posting pics anyway :D:

Day after install dirrrrrty pics:

Today I put some Detroit Muscle on them in an attempt to keep 'em shiny (didn't bother with the rest of the car since it's supposed to rain/snow tomorrow :-\ )

Hi there!

Here's lookin' at ya ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.