Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2005 G6 GT with ABS, I have to change the front right wheel bearing and have bought a new hub assembly, but the new assembly has a wire for the ABS Sensor and my car doesn't have one......and YES, I'm 110% sure my car has ABS.....so, ANY ideas?:confused:

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Don't you mean the vehicle speed sensor? There is no ABS sensor.

Label 10 is the sensor.

·
Registered
405 Posts
This should be interesting. I checked ALLDATA and it says that when changing the hub, one of the steps is ‘unplugging the sensor assm’, showing a plug behind the knuckle. Then, when look up hubs over @ NAPA, it shows the harness right there as part of the hub. Why does the original hub not have a pigtail?
In order for ABS and traction to work, the car needs a sensor at least at each of the drive wheels, to determine the speed of each to implement ABS or TRAC. It’s all based on wheel speed comparison.
This makes no sense.
If the car 110% has ABS, something is askew here.
I just don’t know what.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I changed out my front HUB I purchased the one with ABS. The original had a cable coming off it that I disconnected. The hub has a speed sensor according to the manual. If you have ABS there should be an ABS fuse in one of the fuse boxes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm back to respond. First of all I have to laugh a bit....lol. Got screwed over by a guy who was going to help me out and replace 2 broken wheel studs for me....Only lost $40, so I'll just call that whole thing lucky... Here goes; Paid a guy $40 to change 2 broken wheel studs, got my car back with the wheel studs all there, but he told me that there was a problem with my ABS sensor (Wheel/Vehicle Speed Sensor) and I should get it replaced because my ABS light was on. It wasn't on when I dropped it off, but ok, he fixed the studs. Got a quote of $621 at a garage to replace both front wheel bearing because they told me the problem was there but didn't tell me the exact problem. I said ok and left the shop, went home and bought 2 wheel bearing assemblies online for $123 total and started to tear into the first wheel.....Hmmm, no Sensor, no wire....WTF? Posted here and got replies. Here's what the dude did....Instead of changing the wheel studs he spend who knows how long removing the wheel bearing assembly, tossed it away and put in a NON-ABS assembly out of some junker....YEAH, my light is on because there IS NO SENSOR!!!! Opened up the other side, figured out wth was going on, replaced both and BINGO....fixed the problem, got in my car, drove over to buddy's place and his wife was there, so I tore a small strip off her and buddy showed up at my door 2 hours later with my $40 and appologized and said it was the first time he replaced one and wasn't sure what the wire was for. I suggested he shouldn't do another one and he appologized again and left. So, 2 new wheel bearings, 10 new wheel studs and new VSS Sensors with $498 saved still in my pocket. Some people's children!!!

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Kool beans, this is why I try to fix the car my self unless I know I really can't do it, then i take it to the stealer ship. Its amazing how much info you can get in communities such as g6ownersclub.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I'm back to respond. First of all I have to laugh a bit....lol. Got screwed over by a guy who was going to help me out and replace 2 broken wheel studs for me....Only lost $40, so I'll just call that whole thing lucky... Here goes; Paid a guy $40 to change 2 broken wheel studs, got my car back with the wheel studs all there, but he told me that there was a problem with my ABS sensor (Wheel/Vehicle Speed Sensor) and I should get it replaced because my ABS light was on. It wasn't on when I dropped it off, but ok, he fixed the studs. Got a quote of $621 at a garage to replace both front wheel bearing because they told me the problem was there but didn't tell me the exact problem. I said ok and left the shop, went home and bought 2 wheel bearing assemblies online for $123 total and started to tear into the first wheel.....Hmmm, no Sensor, no wire....WTF? Posted here and got replies. Here's what the dude did....Instead of changing the wheel studs he spend who knows how long removing the wheel bearing assembly, tossed it away and put in a NON-ABS assembly out of some junker....YEAH, my light is on because there IS NO SENSOR!!!! Opened up the other side, figured out wth was going on, replaced both and BINGO....fixed the problem, got in my car, drove over to buddy's place and his wife was there, so I tore a small strip off her and buddy showed up at my door 2 hours later with my $40 and appologized and said it was the first time he replaced one and wasn't sure what the wire was for. I suggested he shouldn't do another one and he appologized again and left. So, 2 new wheel bearings, 10 new wheel studs and new VSS Sensors with $498 saved still in my pocket. Some people's children!!!
Before you down someone because they done the job wrong and tell them they should not do it again, You should understand if someone done you that way at your job when you were 1st learning or something it would have broken your spirit. Just letting you know what you should have said was OK, Make a mistake learn from it you're a mechanic we need mechanics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts