Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 G6 V6 sedan with 59k miles....and there is a strange whining almost humming noise when I drive definitely coming from around the wheels. Would it be a bad wheel bearing or tie rod possibly? rotors or brake issue? HELP!!

:confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have the same problem mine only happens when iam in drive it starts at about 30 mph and on can you explain your prob i thought i was the only one having this prob gonna take it to the dealer when i get some extra money.:(

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
I am sure I am just wasting my breath but tires, can make alot of noises, when they are low, out of align, bald...etc.
drive your car on a flat three lane road and sway from left to right, and see if the pitch changes that is the easiest way to tell bad wheel bearings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Also it could be a wheel hub bearing... I have a 08 gt and have a whinning/ vibrating sound coming from the front right tire area.. I took it to the Dealer today and he said it's the wheel hub bearing is shot. They had to order the part but once I get it fixed on Friday I will let you know if thats what it was or not. Other ideas might be that the tire came out of balance, breaks might be low, or tires are bald.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad took the car to a mechanic this week and he said my passenger side front wheel bearing was BEYOND shot. It was seized onto my axle!

We got a bearing hub from a wrecked 2007 Malibu with 3k miles on it. Replaced the bearing, brake pads and rotors and the noise was gone. I do love my car but I don't think I'll buy another one after the loan is paid off. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
It was a passanger wheel hub bearing... Got it fixed under warranty and no more sound. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
was wondering if anyone knew the mechanic is saying that the hub and bearing are married and that the bearing has to be replaced by getting a whole new hub and bearing.sounds weird cause on the diagram on gmpartdirect they have the bearing for sale 30+dollars. why would they sell just a bearing by itself???:eek::):(

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
sometimes the bearing can be done by itself. most of the time when the two have been seized "married," then they need to be replaced together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sure I am just wasting my breath but tires, can make alot of noises, when they are low, out of align, bald...etc.
drive your car on a flat three lane road and sway from left to right, and see if the pitch changes that is the easiest way to tell bad wheel bearings.

My car definitely changes pitch to the right almost stops making noise!! What does this mean

·
Super Moderator
910 Posts
If the whining noise changes as you turn left / right it is often a worn wheel hub assembly. I would also mention that unless they have already been replaced at different times, if one has worn that other will likley have as well. I replaced the drivers side on mine having read a few internet posts on how to work out which is making the noise only to find out that the drivers side was now quiet enough to hear the passenger side. I would also say to not pick the cheapest replacement part. I picked a cheap one from Rock Auto and it lasted maybe 6 months. Picked a more mid range replacement after that and those are still going strong.

Hope this helps and you find and fix it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.