Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
cool. i bet the gauges would look awesome red with blue needles. i love my red interior lights, i dunno why anyone would want to change them.

after driving a new Passat with a red/blue dash light theme i was looking at modding my white face gauges in a similar way. it would be far easier to swap out the needle LEDs instead though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
" i love my red interior lights, i dunno why anyone would want to change them."

Why put a super charger on a vehicle that doesnt already have one? Why change the exhuast to increase power? To be different? To optimize performance. To make some thing you own the way you like it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
eatech3 said:
" i love my red interior lights, i dunno why anyone would want to change them."

Why put a super charger on a vehicle that doesnt already have one? Why change the exhuast to increase power? To be different? To optimize performance. To make some thing you own the way you like it.
chill brotha...i never said what you were doing is wrong. like i said i love my red interior lights, no big deal.

how did you change the lights in the gauge needles? what size bulbs do they use? they don't look like they are generic LED bulbs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TLS2000 said:
I would love to see a how-to for this. :)
Its easy. Basically just take it apart, reomve the bulbs, determine where ground is and solder LEds in its place. I didnt really think of documenting it along the way. I guess if there is a big demand i could take every thing apart and take pictures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bristol16 said:
chill brotha...i never said what you were doing is wrong. like i said i love my red interior lights, no big deal.

how did you change the lights in the gauge needles? what size bulbs do they use? they don't look like they are generic LED bulbs.
I was just trying to make a point. That's all. The gauge needles have a seperate led from the back lighting, so i just used a different color for them. They are not led bulbs. i actually took the bulbs out, and soldered in LED's in there place. Where i work that stuff is plentifull.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigbengt67 said:
That looks good, but what about the radio? That would be a little tougher to change.
i have an aftermarket cd player, so i have already changed the leds in that to red, but now i have white i will change that over i just didnt have the time. But the stock radio could be done also im sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am partial to the red lights in the interior, but the white with the blue needle looks very classy. If someone did not know that the car was supposed to have red lights, that would easilly pass as a factory color. Very nice gauges!

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I read it is in the BCM. :cool:

Also...That looks like the same Alpine that I just installed in my Son's ZX2.
Does it have XM built in? His does. Its the shizzzz.... ;)

There is a hook up in the back for the MP3 but how do you switch
between the modes? When the iPod is hooked up we cant get it
to recognise it....????? :confused:

I really like your lights. Is there a way to add a few more bulbs
around the control knobs where it is obvious they didnt put enough...?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lampoon said:
I read it is in the BCM. :cool:

Also...That looks like the same Alpine that I just installed in my Son's ZX2.
Does it have XM built in? His does. Its the shizzzz.... ;)

There is a hook up in the back for the MP3 but how do you switch
between the modes? When the iPod is hooked up we cant get it
to recognise it....????? :confused:

I really like your lights. Is there a way to add a few more bulbs
around the control knobs where it is obvious they didnt put enough...?
Yeah, it has XM but i dont subscribe. Well my CD player is older so there isnt a hookup for iPods, but the one i put in my wifes car does. You just get the cable and then im guessing when its hooked up it will let you gop from cd, to radio, to iPod. Yeah you can add more Led's to the comtrol knobs, but not to many there isnt a whole lotta room.

·
Registered
17 Posts
eatech3 said:
Its easy. Basically just take it apart, reomve the bulbs, determine where ground is and solder LEds in its place. I didnt really think of documenting it along the way. I guess if there is a big demand i could take every thing apart and take pictures.
Well, I know frot he G6Performance forum there is quite a demand for this how-to. I would love to see some pics and find out the details of what LED's you used. I know http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm has 5mm and 3mm high flux bulbs that should be direct replacements for what is on the cluster. At least they look like the ones in http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/nrmeyers/P9160001.jpg which I have also attached to this post. What did you use? Thanks!

Nate

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.