Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been a topic up for debate before. But I have been going through the forums and posts for the past few days and cannot seem to find one. Sorry, if I am missing it, if it has been posted.

But my question is this to longer term G6 GT owners than myself. It is time for new tires and I've owned well over a half century of cars in my lifetime and have never owned a 200hp car that required V-rated tires before.

Does anyone know why they are on our cars when I highly doubt this car is going to be able to do 149mph for a 10 minute consistant basis even with some tuning and low end mods.

I'm not cheap when it comes to taking care of my cars. But it does seem to be a waste of money to place a V-rated tire on a car that would really only require an H-rated tire.

Anyone here running H-rated tires instead of V-rated tires? If so, any pos or neg you would like to let me know about?

Thank you!

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
No one really focuses on the speed rating of the tire because that's just a side effect of looking for a performance tire that will handle and grip the road. I guarantee that H-rated tire would have poor racing potential.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I sell tires as part of my business. While it's called a speed rating, I tend to refer to it as a PERFORMANCE rating. The recommended performance rating is on the car and manual, and it's generally not recommended to use anything below the factory rating. Many tire stores won't do it due to liability reasons. The thought is that the suspension was engineered with a particular rating tire in mind. Can you do it? Sure you can, the downside is the car may not handle as designed. Have I done it, yes, results, some passable, some crap.
While the speed is one part of it, the meat of it is the performance characteristics of the tire. Characteristics such as sidewall stiffness, durability, tread deformation, and more are all part of the equation. The only real variable that the public may understand of all this is speed rating. Construction of the tire leads to the speed rating. Speed rating is just misleading, and just comes across as marketing.
Tire Rack has an awesome article on speed rating you should check it out.

davez

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you VERY MUCH for the informative lesson on the ups and downs on the misleading 'speed rating' of a tire. Looks like I will be sticking with the 'v-rating' tires or better depending on the handling / wear of the tires.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
All that info is great, thanks!

I didnt even know all that..but the way I looked at it was id much rather have a higher rated than lower and risk anything. I would NEVER put any expensive tires on my 6...but i also sure as heck wouldnt cheap out on some low grade low rated tire either

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Define expensive because I have $200 Michelin HX MXM4's on my G6 right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts