Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm new to starting a new 'thread', I'm not sure if I'm in the right category or if this has already been discussed... but I'm really disappointed in GM's choice of which brands to keep. Pontiac was one of its best sellers and only performance brand, so why get rid of it? What do ya think?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now GM has two 'work brands' (GMC and Chevy) and two luxury brands (Cadillac and Buick) instead of having a work brand (Chevy) a luxury brand (Cadillac) a performance brand (Pontiac) and a unique brand (Hummer).

they should just put us in charge. HAHA:rolleyes:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well for me i never really liked pontiac :D

Until i got one its kind of a love hate thing LOL

But after the six came looks like they started making Gold but yeah short lived

My next car was gonna be a G8 GT or Wrx i know big difference but yeah

Im more of a performance over show but its changed lately with what i can afford to do.

When i think of pontiac going im reminded of the fact that a young engineer from Pontiac Came up with the "Wide Track" Are brand was the first cars to have a wider tire and wider wheel base for better performance. long long time ago.:blah::blah:

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
Unfortunately Pontiac was NOT a big seller, at least outside the fleet (i.e. rental car) and secondary markets. Part of it was the time they spent in the mid-70's to mid-80s with cars that were not very exciting (Trans Am aside, but even that was so so in that time frame). There were a few decent cars in the 90s and 2000s that were okay, but GM has never particularly good with making plastic interiors look decent or functional (anyone for manual shifting with a drink in their G6 cupholder?).

Throw poor advertising into the mix and there's no surprise Pontiac died the slow death it did. Think about it, if the interior of the G8 were just a bit sexier and they had actually marketed it to gearheads more people would have bought one...

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also look at it from a stand point of my age, 17... Looking at GM now, I don't see anything sporty and affordable like Pontiac had to offer for a younger age group. Yes, the Malibu is a nice car, but nothing like the G6. In the past year they have stopped making any car that I liked from GM... I don't know now if I would give two shits if the company went belly up. LOL :(

MattInSoCal, big seller or not, I was told from a GM employee at the Orion plant where the G6 was made that the G6 may have been the most, or one of the most, successful cars GM ever produced. You (and I) may care to argue, but I'm just repeating what was said. Thoughts?

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
I was told from a GM employee at the Orion plant where the G6 was made that the G6 may have been the most, or one of the most, successful cars GM ever produced. You (and I) may care to argue, but I'm just repeating what was said. Thoughts?
Sure, if I were an employee at that plant I might be mighty proud of the G6's I built. Heck, I'm darned proud of my company's product, and my project in particular. I tell everyone what a great product we build, but just because I believe it doesn't necessarily mean it is the best on the market.

That aside, with about 676,000 units sold in the G6's lifetime, it's not exactly a spectacular performer. To put it in some kind of perspective, the G6 sold roughly 37,000 units in the first quarter of 2008. In that same period, the Honda Accord sold 88,000 units, the Toyota Camry sold 84,000 units, and the Nissan Altima sold 76,000. Consider that a large number (+/- 40%) of those G6's were sold into fleet (i.e. rental car) use and you can start to figure out that the car buying public just wasn't that interested in the vehicle.

Pontiac probably recovered their investment in the development and manufacture of the G6, but warranty costs are going to gobble up most of the small profit they may have cleared. If the G6 is indeed one of the most popular/successful of the cars that Pontiac was producing before GM axed them, when you consider the low profitability of the brand it's easy to see why Pontiac became a target for the chopping block.

I could write a pages-long treatise on this topic, but it's really not a fit subject for this thread and possibly not even the forums.

~ MattInSoCal
Not a marketing geek

·
Registered
81 Posts
^ That's a huge surprise to me! The G6 has only been popular as of lately because of the ridiculous down markings now.

Prices on G6's have risen lately (where I am located anyways). The dealership where I got mine informed me a few weeks ago when I was there that prices on G6's are going up & that I am lucky I bought mine when I did. A used 2008 G6 GT is selling used w/ 25,000 miles for $18,500 at the dealership I purchased mine from.For a used G6, I find that rediculous! But since the cars are getting harder to come by, and people still want them, prices are going up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It all boils down to economics. Pontiac had been losing money for years. Don't blame GM. Any company would be glad to dump the losers no matter how great their products was. Profit is the main objective for any business.

Sales of the G6 has not been too bad actually. If you combine all the mid-size cars GM sells, it beats the Camry, Accord, or the Altima. GM spread their product lines too thin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.