Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So i bought a pre-cut window tint kit online and just got done installing it. I don't claim to be an expert at all. I read many times that if you are just tinting 1 car that it isn't worth it to DIY, but I enjoy learning new things so I went for it. This is not a comprehensive guide, I felt thathttp://www.monkeysee.com/play/13388-tint-car-windows-cleaning-and-prepping-the-window was the most helpful instruction video. I just want to give a couple suggestions to others after learning from my own mistakes.
1. Clean the windows very good! Every little dust particle shows. I washed the window inside and out to see every speck and then used a microfiber cloth and then sprayed the tint solution and used a razor blade along every square inch.
2. Remove the rubber lining along the top of the inside door frame. After using a practice sheet of film I figured this one out:).
3. Even on the precut film it was easiest for me to stick the film on the outside of the window(plastic still attached) and then to transfer it to the inside. This way makes it easier to do by yourself as you don't have to worry about the tint sticking to itself.
4. To start roll the window down a crack, if you put the tint on flush with the window all the way up you'll get about a half inch gap. I left the bottom part of the plastic backing on, secured the top part, rolled it up with my fingers crossed and then put the bottom on. It worked out really well.
5. A hair dryer doesn't get hot enough to heat shrink the tint, at least mine didn't. I picked up a heat gun for 10 bucks.

All in all I'm glad I tried this out, Even with some of my newby mistakes it still looks pretty good.

·
WHITE G6 GT (:
159 Posts
Wow. I'm surprised you actually went and did this yourself. It takes patience and practice. You should take a few pictures and post the outside and inside of your car windows PLEASE.

Also, don't roll down your windows for 3-5 days because the moisture under the tint is still there. You want all the bubbles and lines to go away. So take a piece of tape and stick it over all the window buttons. Trust me you don't want that coming off down in your seals and such.

Congrats and enjoy. Lastly, how dark did you do them?

Dillon :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll see when I can post some pics up. the tape is a good idea. I accidentally rolled down the window to wave to my niece. Luckily nothing happened.

·
WHITE G6 GT (:
159 Posts
How dark did you do your windows? Also, how long did it take you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did 35% on the front windows and 20% around the back. It probably took me 5 hours after practicing on a couple windows and an hour and a half of blow drying the back window that didn't do squat. It did take patience, and I had to wait for a nice calm day with no wind.

·
WHITE G6 GT (:
159 Posts
I see. Very nice. Last question, was it worth it? Next time would you take it to go get done? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I would do it again, but that's just me, my brother who helped me do the windshield wouldn't though and he is even tighter with his money than I am. It was a good learning experience and I think it will go much smoother next time and hopefully I can help some friends or family out if they want it. Thanks for your comments.
1 more tip. When heat shrinking the rear window it was easiest to shrink the fingers vertically rather than horizontally. I read this somewhere and don't understand why but could tell a difference while doing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts