Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just bought a 2008 G6 and the wiper fluid doesn't come out. Has this happened to anyone else? This is a silly question, but do you know where the fluid is supposed to come out? The car is from Hawaii and it has been really cold here the past couple weeks, so I'm thinking maybe the fluid is frozen if there is not anti-freeze fluid in it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is the fluid supposed to come out of holes somewhere on the car or does it come out of a hose on the wiper? My previous car's fluid came out of a hose on the wiper.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If the owner used water instead of washer fluid, the system is most likely frozen. It happens a lot, people don't want to spend the $3/gal for proper washer fluid, or at least dilute it so it's good to -20C instead of -40C. People do make similar mistakes with engine coolant! Be sure to check that too. Any competent shop will have test strips on hand and can check the freezing point of your coolant for a few bucks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah the tips can freeze. Takes a bit of time to warm up enough.

I've wanted to look for washer fluid heater that works well. I'd really rather not spend more than $100 on it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yeah the tips can freeze. Takes a bit of time to warm up enough.

I've wanted to look for washer fluid heater that works well. I'd really rather not spend more than $100 on it.
Using standard washer fluid with no dilution, you won't have any problems unless you move to northern Alaska. The tips can clog with snow and a bit of ice, but the pressure from the washer fluid will force that small bit of ice out, and it's nothing to worry about. In some cases, I'll get lazy and not clean the snow off the hood of my vehicle and I'll spray some fluid on to keep the frost from coming back, and it'll blow all the snow from around the washer nozzles on the hood, onto the windshield!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Glad I could help.

But yes the problem with freezing tips is not exclusive to the G6. It's happened on all the cars I've used if I park outside overnight.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Glad I could help.

But yes the problem with freezing tips is not exclusive to the G6. It's happened on all the cars I've used if I park outside overnight.
I've never had any problems except for thick, freezing rain on the hood of course. Snow has never been a problem though. My Taurus has similar hood mounted jets as well. I'm not much into using washer fluid either. I might go through a couple gallons every six months. If that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.