Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 and the windshield wipers work when pushing washer pump button but not with multi speed switch.
I replaced the entire switch as it had been broken but same problem. fuse in engine comp is good, as is fuse in console box. There are 2 relays? marked Wiper 1 & wiper 2 in engine compartment. Could they cause such a problem? Any other suggestions?

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
I have an 07 and the windshield wipers work when pushing washer pump button but not with multi speed switch.
I replaced the entire switch as it had been broken but same problem. fuse in engine comp is good, as is fuse in console box. There are 2 relays? marked Wiper 1 & wiper 2 in engine compartment. Could they cause such a problem? Any other suggestions?
I suspect a bad ground, and that applying the pump button provides a ground for the other signal thereby enabling the wipers.

Alas, I don't presently have access to the drawings, but I'll try to look it up when I get home this evening. I am hoping the schematic of the wiper switch and motor will give me an idea of where you need to drill down.

Doug

·
303 Posts
I suspect a bad ground, and that applying the pump button provides a ground for the other signal thereby enabling the wipers.

Alas, I don't presently have access to the drawings, but I'll try to look it up when I get home this evening. I am hoping the schematic of the wiper switch and motor will give me an idea of where you need to drill down.
Attached are a couple drawings. I need to study them a bit, but for now, I'm posting them.

There are a couple relays (#39 and #40 in the underhood fuse block) which I need to sort thru along with some other bits. But, in the mean time, the drawings are here for perusal.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wiper problem

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your help. Both fuses are good. Swapped the 2 relays with 2 from another car..no help. Checked the 2 diagrams and could not figure out where I could rig a ground if that is the problem. Any advice?:frown2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wiper problem

Hi Doug,
Thanks for your help. Both fuses are good. Swapped the 2 relays with 2 from another car..no help. Checked the 2 diagrams and could not figure out where I could rig a ground if that is the problem. Any advice?:frown2:
Just noticed a diode in schematic 2 Possible problem? Where is it and what does it look like?

·
303 Posts
Hi Doug,
Just noticed a diode in schematic 2 Possible problem? Where is it and what does it look like?
Sorry it's taken so long. I've looked at the drawings a few times, but don't see anything obvious that would indicate a wiring or grounding issue. I can't say it's not wiring, but right now, I'm leaning towards the BCM.

That said, before replacing it, I'd get in there and inspect it closely. The schematics call out the wires between the controls, the BCM and the wiper and washer motors. The connectors, pin numbers and wire colors are listed. So you might inspect the pertinent wires.

On the BCM, check connector C4, pin D8, yellow wire. Also check C2/pin 57, gray wire. These are from the switch to the BCM.

At the underhood fuse block, check C2/pin C10, black wire to ground. Make sure it ohms to ground.

One test to try: with your fingers on the two relays, have someone turn the wiper switch thru all the positions. See of either of the relays click. That will be a good indication if the signal is getting from the switch to the BCM to the relays.

If the relays are not clicking, put a volt meter on C4/D8 at the BCM and see if the voltage changes as the wiper switch and delay switch are stepped thru the various positions.

If the relays are clicking, then the wiring between the underhood fuse block and the wiper motor needs to be checked.

Those are some tests which help isolate the problem. But there are still more tests that might be needed.

HTH.

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts