Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be storing my 2006 G6 GTP for the winter. I've done a lot of research on proper preparations for storage but I want some input for certain things.

1)I've heard about the "Start" vs. "No-start" storage strategies, what are the pro and cons to both? I can't find anything on it.
2) I plan on jacking the car in the air, should I jack it up from the designated jack points and let the suspension hang, or jack it on some sort of suspenion component so as to have it in the air, but the suspension still compressed? I've seen conflicting arguments here too.
3) A lot of places say to change the oil before storing it, but when I got the car in like... July I did an oil change on it, and I've only driver 1200 KMs on that oil, and its Amsoil Full Synthetic 5w30 - worth changing the oil? (Considering its like $75 a change, and this oil is good for 25,000 miles or in my case 40,000 Kms). I would never wait that long to change my oil obviously, normally I do it every 8,000-10,000 KMs.

Any other input is appreciated also, it's my first time storing a car for an extended period (5-6 months, maybe 7)

·
;)
386 Posts
starting the car once a week would do to keep the fluids somewhat circulated. If not then for instance the oil could completely run off the cylinder walls. Not good to start a car like that after sitting a while. As for the jacking, you could jack it at the points but it doesnt have to be competely off the ground just enough to get pressure off the suspension & tires. No need to change the oil if started once a week. Maybe you could disconnect the battery & store in a warm place. Once you get it out of storage you should check all fluids to see if any need to be replaced then.

·
his 07 vert/her 07 coupe
333 Posts
i am going to be storing my convertable and i will be putting the car on jackstands/using a battery tender/using a fule stabilizer/coating all rubbers and tires with a slicone spray/ oil change/ getting under the car/hood and spraying WD-40 on all exposed metal:eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose WD-40 is better than nothing, but I read somewhere that it will do next to nothing. It is so low in viscosity that there is no way it will stay where you places it for 6 months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the car is put away - has been 2 days. I want to remove the battery but want to make sure there isnt anything I need to do prior. Will I need a code or anything afterwards for the radio, once I reconnect the battery? (I don't think I will, because the radio is programmed to the VIN, but just checking). What about all the settings and odometer and oil change life etc, will that get reset (obviously the odometer wont, that would be way to easy to roll back then)?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Remove the battery. Jack up the corners to relief weight on the suspension and throw some axle stands under it just enough that you can still get in and start it occasionally.

Leave the engine oil alone. I run Amsoil 5W30 full synthetic as well in my '06 G6 GT and change it every July 1st (Canada Day long weekend). Sometimes mileage is 16,000kms, other years it's 9,000kms. I utilize the auto-stick quite a bit to get max performance so the engine is constantly working in its prime.

You don't have to remove the battery, just disconnect the terminals and tuck them down into the hood where they won't contact anything metallic. If you have low mileage a charger shouldn't be necessary and it should start the car just fine when you need it to.

If you think about it, auto part stores have batteries that sit on shelves for a year or so at times and they still manage to start vehicles after someone purchases it. If you need one bad enough, you'll purchase any age battery even if it's 'new' at the time. Same goes for tires, but that's another story. Either way, no worries.

Amsoil had a HD synthetic lube spray. The smell is close to that of gear oil, but it does a great job. I use it as a quasi-chassis lube for my brake lines and a few other areas before and after the winter. Works great! It's no 'oil spray' by any means, but for the price, you can't beat it. It doubles as a motorcycle chain lube in the summer months for me and it's my new all purpose oil spray. I also use it in the locks, door hinges, etc.

If the storage area is heated or temperature regulated to say 50F or so, you shouldn't require to start the car at all and there's less worry about condensation with temperature changes below and above freezing. This also means you can leave one of the windows down just ever so slightly to allow decent air circulation.

In my older Mustang I used to remove the spark plugs, spray in some anti fog oil, and just hand torque the plugs back on before storage (not started while in storage). I did get the oil changed prior to storage, jack it up on axle stands so the weight was for the most part off the suspension, and I added some fuel stabilizer to the gas tank and idled the engine for a good five minutes after just until I was certain the stabilizer had mixed thoroughly as it not only attempts to stop fuel from going stale, it acts as a rust inhibitor as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.