Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter tires are going to be the best option for you during the winter months. Unlike all-season tires, winter tires stay pliable when the temperatures drop below 45 degrees which helps with traction. Check out this video...

The above is complements of "Discounttiredirect"

·
Registered
123 Posts
you'll get no arguement from me that designated snows are WAY better than all seasons, but i find the video misleading.

More compliant rubber compounds provide much better traction, especially at lower temperatures, but that is only the beginning of winter tire technology. Tread design gives the tire mechanical grip on the snow and ice. Look at a winter tire and you will see small, close-together tread blocks with lots of biting edges and wedge-shaped openings between the blocks to grip loose snow. This design also has the added bonus of being quiet at highway speeds.

Winter tires also have thousands of tiny cuts in the tread surface. These are called “siping” and provide extra bite on slippery icy surfaces. The siping is often made in several directions, so the tire will have good cornering traction as well as straight-line traction.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
The only reason I don't get winter tires is that there isn't enough down in the DC metro area to warrant it, the only time I would really NEED them is going up to the mountains of PA.

Also I don't have the storage to put the winter tires in the summer, only have a one bed one bath apartment.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Down here in Baton Rouge not many peeps know why you folks up north even swap out tires in the winter. Shoot, our winters are typically in the 50s.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
Snow tires are almost a neccesity where I live, or you own a 4x4, or you sit at home and watch it snow. I live in NorthWestern PA, LAKE EFFECT SNOW dumps inches that become feet very quickly. Last year, I had my 18" Blizzak LM25's on for thier 3rd and final year and was still able to get around on what was considered an all season because they were at or below half tread. Blizzaks are the shit from start to finsih! I bought a 16" steel wheel and Blizzak ws60 package and expect to be passing suv's in the snow again! Some of them I even drove by as they were stuck in the ditch! Bring on the white stuff, I'm ready to play!

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
I know from experience living in western PA that snow tires have a BIG impact on winter driving. I also learned the hard way to buy all 4 snow tires and not just 2 for the front.

I knew that even thought I now live in Maryland I would be traveling to PA to visit my folks this winter so I wanted Snow tires.

The biggest problem I had with getting snows for my 2005 G6 GT was the price. Stock size for the tires is 225 50 R17. This size snow tire is both hard to find and very expensive, *over $160 per tire* at the shops I found. I discovered that I could use an "alternate" tire by browsing Tirerack.com The "alternate" tire size is 215 55 R17. These tires cost about $89 each. I was able to use them on my stock rims and they seem to work just fine.

The numbers as I understand it refer to a tires "aspect ratio" the first number is the width of the tread in millimeters from sidewall to sidewall. The second number refers to the height of the tire from the bead to the top of the tread, but not measured in millimeters, rather as a percentage of the tire width. The letter R refers to Radial tires and 17 is the size of the rim in inches.

Essentially the tires I got are about 1 centimeter skinnier, which is good for snow, and about a half centimeter taller, also good for snow.

The brand by the way if anybody is interested is Firestone, I think the model is Winterforce.

Before getting the tires I was having a very hard time getting moving in the snow. Before Christmas we got about 13 inches in my part of Maryland and the road crews couldn't do anything to get rid of it so driving was difficult. After getting the snow tires I can go right through stuff that would have stopped me cold before.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Alot of tire sites recommend you actually go a size smaller i.e. 16". And the best part with an inch smaller means it's cheaper than the 17". Also if you get snow tires you should get some steel rims so you're not changing the tires on and off, that's never good for a tire.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Alot of tire sites recommend you actually go a size smaller i.e. 16". And the best part with an inch smaller means it's cheaper than the 17". Also if you get snow tires you should get some steel rims so you're not changing the tires on and off, that's never good for a tire.
You'll get no argument here about that, however, I couldn't find 16" rims anywhere for a decent price in the time frame I had. Plus, steel rims on a GT=Ugly imho.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its not just that they are cheaper, there's another reason why you want to go with a smaller rim size!

EX. If you have 18" rims with lets say 225/45/18(all season) If your car/truck can fit a 15" rims, then you would want 225 or 215/75/15(winter tire). The height of the sidewall also plays a big roll. The taller sidewall allows the entire wheel to conform to the road, bumps, lumps of snow and chunks of ice. A 225/45/18(winter tire) WILL NOT perform as well as the tall winter tire!!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Winter tires are a mixed bag. The key here is to shop around, as with summer tires, not all winter tires are created equal. My OEM Continental crap tires finally wore out with 32,000kms on them. I could've squeezed another 5-8K but decided against it only because the one tire picked up a nail in the sidewall and it had to be replaced, so I decided to replace all four.

I went with the General Grapper UHP or "ultra high performance" tire http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP&partnum=25WR7EUHP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I had a set installed for less than $850 here in Ontario and WHAT A DIFFERENCE over the OEM Continentals. So far we haven't had much snow here, and when we do get snow, I'll drive either my Durango with all-season BFGs, or my '99 Taurus which I had winter tires installed last fall; GoodYear Nordics from Canadian Tire.

Winter tires are merely glorified all-terrain tires, but for cars. I agree, the rubber compounds are different to allow flexibility in colder climates, but lately it hasn't dropped below 20C here. For the most part the average temp has been mild this year at -5C. As my Taurus is my traveling/commuter car, I installed winter tires on it when I drive up to northern Ontario to visit relatives. With three vehicles and only two drivers, if it snows bad enough I'll park the G6, as there's no need for me to buy another set of winter rubbers.

As it stands, low profile tires are overrated for what they are. 99% of drivers will never drive their car on the limit to where the point of a taller sidewall tire would keel over so much that it would let air out of it. I took my G6 to the track once, and didn't find it wanting, still I didn't push it as much as I should of mostly for safety reasons. A couple times a year it's still reassuring when I go to Toronto and rent the Ferrari, then, and only then do I appreciate low profile tires...in the summer of course.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like my solution, KDW2's on the G6 for the summer, and 33x12.50's on the 450HP K-10 for the wintertime....

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
I'm reviving this thread...

I'm looking into getting new tires for my 2006 G6 GT. Right now I live in sunny Georgia where we don't really get enough snow and ice to warrant getting snow tires. However, I'm going to be moving up to Quantico, Virginia at the beginning of next year and I don't want to be driving on summer tires.

Firstly, does the 2006 G6 GT with 18" wheels come stock with the all-season tires (Goodyear Eagle LS-2) or the summer performance tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A)? My car is in the shop and I'm too eager to wait and find out by looking at the car's tires in a week or two.

Secondly, does the Virginia weather warrant snow tires or all-season tires? I don't plan on going past the D.C./Maryland area.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Mind you where i'm from, canadian winters are much different haha I would suggest you get winters for any snow just for the traction and safety. The rubber in the all seasons isnt as soft as the winters so they would get really hard and be useless.

Take it from me, if you are gonna be driving in snow I would get snow tires.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I'm reviving this thread...

I'm looking into getting new tires for my 2006 G6 GT. Right now I live in sunny Georgia where we don't really get enough snow and ice to warrant getting snow tires. However, I'm going to be moving up to Quantico, Virginia at the beginning of next year and I don't want to be driving on summer tires.

Firstly, does the 2006 G6 GT with 18" wheels come stock with the all-season tires (Goodyear Eagle LS-2) or the summer performance tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050A)? My car is in the shop and I'm too eager to wait and find out by looking at the car's tires in a week or two.

Secondly, does the Virginia weather warrant snow tires or all-season tires? I don't plan on going past the D.C./Maryland area.

Thanks
A GT with the 18"s, must be a vert? As far as stock it should have the junk Goodyear Eagle LS-2's. They came on my GTP and I bitched at about 500 miles and they put the Potenza's on and it felt like a completly different car! As for your winters in Virginia if it is in land in the mountains you will need them but if you are more towards the Ocean then you will just want a good set of all seasons, look into some of the other Potenza's or the Turanza's from Bridgestone, or do like me and run the RE050's on my 18's and order a set of 16" steelies with Blizzaks on them just so you KNOW you can go now matter how shitty the weather may get. Hope this answers your questions. Have fun and good luck!

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
that's my bad, the wheels on my GT aren't stock, they're upgraded 18" aluminum. I'm definitely going to have to double check what kind of tires are currently on there though.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My '06 GT came with the 17" chrome tech wheels. 18's were not an option, unless someone had installed larger aftermarket wheels? My OEM tires were Continentals, which I do not recommend for winter use, but they are OK after the plows have been out. I generally turn off the traction control as it gets annoying when taking off. I have less wheel spin with TC turned off, than what the computer thinks it should do in terms of intervening. Snow tires will obviously help if you wish to leave the TC on.

Winter tires aren't always needed, unless you're like G6-Lover who lives out in New Brunswick! I lived in Oromocto years ago, and in two days 34" of snow hit the ground. Calgary was bad as well, but here in southern Ontario the winters are fairly mild.

I do have a set of winter tires for my '99 Taurus should I have to do any out of town driving. My Durango is more or less an around town work vehicle. I prefer driving the Taurus in light to moderate snow just due to the fact that it weighs 2 tons, and is wide and well planted compared to my G6, and it gets twice the mileage my Durango does with generally less wheel spin as it has season tires. Besides 15" winter tires are a lot less money than 17" winter tires for the G6 or Durango.

It's a shame that low profile tires are becoming the norm.

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
I'm pretty certain...

that I've got the 18" wheels... their listed on my car's features by my dealer "wheels- upgraded aluminum 18"" plus from all of the pictures I've seen they look the same as the 18" aluminum wheels I've seen other's cars and for sale on the classifieds:

I just don't have the car with me to see which tires it has on at the time. My GM dealer has two types of tires listed as being "original" for this car w/ the 18" wheels which are the ones I mentioned in a previous post.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
damn all of you who dont deal with winter...bah humbug! haha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts