Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i've come to the conclusion that it's going to cost me a fortune for winter tires! Does anyone know a place where I can get a fairly good price on a set of 4 winter tires (225-50/17)?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Nabil :confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good choice to go for winter tires. When you buy them consider the extra $50 per season ($100 / yr) to put them on and take them off.

There is another option that you should strongly consider. It will even save you money and save your mags.

Put steel rims on for winter. I would also return to a normal size for winter. For example, if I did the math correctly all the sizes below are equivalent to your 225/50/17:

225/55/16
215/60/16
215/65/15

In fact, the standard size on the G6 is 215/60/16. At the VERY LEAST downsize to 215/55/17 to gain more traction on the snow/ice.

But just to prove the point (prices are from the link above)

4 Blizzak tires in 215/55/17 = $448
4 Blizzak tires in 225/50/17 = $552
4 Blizzak tires WITH rims 215/60/16 = 564.

Option 3 (tires and rims) is the most economical. You will save your mags (no winter dammage), and they will cost MUCH less to install everyyear (you save the mount and balance, only pay minimal fee for install). The 215's will also give you better traction than the 225's because they are narrower (more pressure on smaller area so cut through snow better and don't act as a "ski" on looser powder).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Crackers said:
But just to prove the point (prices are from the link above)

4 Blizzak tires in 215/55/17 = $448
4 Blizzak tires in 225/50/17 = $552
4 Blizzak tires WITH rims 215/60/16 = 564.
Careful there, not all Blizzaks are equal. The "regular" ones, the Blizzak WS-50 wear out much faster (but are also slightly better on ice) than the "performance" Blizzaks, the LM-22.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Agreed! Pick up a set of steelies and save your money/rims. A narrower winter tire will give much better traction in snow and reduce hydroplaning in slush. Just make sure that the wheel isn't too small that the brakes won't fit behind it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey all sorry to bring back a dead post from the grave but winter is coming! oh no and being a Canadian boy born and raised I need some good winter tires for the 6 feet of snow we get over night. I was looking on my local Kijiji and found these Bridgstone blizzak winter tires /rims 215/60/16 so like stated above that's the standard tire size so should fit perfectly comes with rims and everything used for one winter less then 8000kms, he wants 500 i could probably get them for 400 what do you guys think worth the money? or should i buy new?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.