Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to wire two red LED light strips into the cars power but I am having some difficulty doing this...

What I have:
1. Toggle switch (I want the LED's wired to this)
2. LED Light Strips
3. A very very basic knowledge of cars and wiring...

What I need is for the toggle switch to operate the LED's on and off, but when I turn the car off I want the LED's to go off regardless of switch posistion (So I do not drain the battery)

So what are your thoughts/methods for wiring these in

pic attached

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Get that fuse tap waterfowler is talking about, you can find them online or at pretty much any auto parts store.

Next find a fuse to tap from that is only hot (has power) when the key is on. You can check with a volt meter or a test light and see which fuse has power when the key is on and such. Then you can wire em up however you'd like.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I would think you can tie into that from the dimmer switch itself. I only have a chiltons manual and there really isn't a wiring diagram for that. However, It does show that a Gray wire goes to the instrument illumination circuit, and is grounded by a black wire. My guess is that gray wire comes from the dimmer. If you have a volt meter you can pull the switch and test the wires while moving the dimmer. I'm sure then you find the one that does it. I would go out and test my car for you to save you the trouble. But it's snowing pretty hefty right now and I park outside :( But I'll be happy to try it some other time and fill you in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts