Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wrecked my G6 *update a must read

Well, I do alot of driving for work. I drive about 500 miles on average a week just for work. I was getting onto M59E from I75S and some lady pulled in front of me from the left lane and slammed on her brakes to merge over and I could not stop in time. I slammed into the back of her and it is my fault even though I was cut off. I am going to fight it because the easy on off ramp is very dangerous and in heavy traffic slamming on the brakes in neccesary. The G6 is a uni-body design and the I think I now have some questions about the strength of the frame. I just got the damage report from the dealer today and the ticket was over 5 grand. Apparently in a 10 mph collision the frame buckeled severely as well as a broken front end, headlight, a bent pair of fenders and a bent hood with a broken radiator right below. So now they are sectioning part of the frame and I will be without my car for about 3 weeks at the most. I need a new job that doesn't make me travel every day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well once I get it back I only have to work at this job until august when I move out to chicago to go to grad school. So I won't be driving too much then. And luckily it is a lease and it will be turned in at the 3 year mark. But also if you think about it it shouldn't be bad at all. They will section out the bad parts of the frame and weld in the replacement parts. That frame is just sheet metal and a weld is alot stronger than sheet metal. So if anything it should make little difference. I still won't buy the car in the end though.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear about that. It sounds like I have a commute similar to yours and I have been in situatuons like you describe, thankfully I've never been in an accident. Hopefully the body shop will do a good job and the car will drive the same as before.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My job is actually based about 5 minutes from the house. But, I have been traveling to every Chrysler Plant in the midwest that our robots are going in. I also have been doing jobs for a couple of other projects that are based in Janesville, WI and Adrian, MI. But when you get paid 44.5cents a mile it is a nice paycheck at the end of the week. It will probably never drive the same but it is just a lease so... I just hope they don't try and charge me for this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got my car back and I have a great story. The car drives just like the day I got it and the front end in perfectly aligned. However, when I drove off the lot I realized I heard a terrible squeeling sound and couldn't figure out what it was. I went back and it stopped as soon as I pulled into the parking lot. I also realized that there was only one cd in my deck instead of the 6 that were in there before. The body shop guy drove it around for a while and couldn't figure it out. And he told me the manager would call me in the morning. Well, on the way home I figured out that it was the cd player. It was scratching the only disc that was left in there. It was a cd of a choir I was in and is irreplaceable. I called the body shop manager this morning and he basically told me he would fix the radio but he would not replace any cd's because they are not responsible for them. I argured with him for about half an hour about how my car was left outside a week before I got it back and it was unlocked out of view of the office.

He kept assuring me that he has never had a problem with theft and it was all heresay to begin with. I replyed by telling him that since there is crap missing out of my car then he obviously does have a problem with theft and I expected more out of them considering that the repair cost about 5 grand total after I paid my deductable.

Well, to make a long story short, too late, he gave me a call back in about an hour after we hung up. He told me he thought about what I said and took a walk around his lot and found a hole cut in his fence. Because he felt bad about basically calling me a liar he told me to go out and replace the 5 cd's that were stolen and give him the receipt and he will reimburse me.

That whole day turned around at that point because about 20 minutes after that call my boss called me over to tell me they are giving me a raise. Then about 20 minutes after that the girl at the office I am seeing went out for valentines day lunch. What a crappy day turned glorious.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Smockonallama said:
I just got my car back and I have a great story. The car drives just like the day I got it and the front end in perfectly aligned. However, when I drove off the lot I realized I heard a terrible squeeling sound and couldn't figure out what it was. I went back and it stopped as soon as I pulled into the parking lot. I also realized that there was only one cd in my deck instead of the 6 that were in there before. The body shop guy drove it around for a while and couldn't figure it out. And he told me the manager would call me in the morning. Well, on the way home I figured out that it was the cd player. It was scratching the only disc that was left in there. It was a cd of a choir I was in and is irreplaceable. I called the body shop manager this morning and he basically told me he would fix the radio but he would not replace any cd's because they are not responsible for them. I argured with him for about half an hour about how my car was left outside a week before I got it back and it was unlocked out of view of the office.

He kept assuring me that he has never had a problem with theft and it was all heresay to begin with. I replyed by telling him that since there is crap missing out of my car then he obviously does have a problem with theft and I expected more out of them considering that the repair cost about 5 grand total after I paid my deductable.

Well, to make a long story short, too late, he gave me a call back in about an hour after we hung up. He told me he thought about what I said and took a walk around his lot and found a hole cut in his fence. Because he felt bad about basically calling me a liar he told me to go out and replace the 5 cd's that were stolen and give him the receipt and he will reimburse me.

That whole day turned around at that point because about 20 minutes after that call my boss called me over to tell me they are giving me a raise. Then about 20 minutes after that the girl at the office I am seeing went out for valentines day lunch. What a crappy day turned glorious.
I do enjoy happy endings. I'm glad to hear everything worked out. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Smockonallama said:
The G6 is a uni-body design and the I think I now have some questions about the strength of the frame. I just got the damage report from the dealer today and the ticket was over 5 grand. Apparently in a 10 mph collision the frame buckeled severely as well as a broken front end, headlight, a bent pair of fenders and a bent hood with a broken radiator right below. So now they are sectioning part of the frame and I will be without my car for about 3 weeks at the most. I need a new job that doesn't make me travel every day.
it sounds like the vehicle did exactly what it is supposed to. almost all of a unibody's structure lies in the firewall, roof, and rockers as well as the pillars running up the sides around the doors. the fact that the front end crumpled like it was designed to do doesn't mean anything failed. cars are designed to self destruct in certain areas in major accidents to absorb forces from the wreck while maintaining the integrity of the passenger cabin.

what is even more surprising is the fact that your car drives so well after the repair work. i always dread getting a car back after a collision, but glad to hear everything worked out for you. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, all of the alignment issues are taken care of. I get my car back again on monday after I dropped it off on Friday getting the radio among other things fixed. Luckily this time they gave me a G6 V6 Sedan to drive around till mine is done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts