Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the XM radio in the factory head unit is a separate tuner plugged into the head unit. I've had so many billing problems with XM that I would like to switch to SIRIUS. Yeah, I know what your thinking. They're the same right? Well their billing dept is different. So I would like to just remove the XM tuner (if possible) and install a SIRIUS tuner. I don't want to mount a separate tuner on the dash. I want a clean factory look.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I wanted to do. I called my local stealership and of course the service writer didn't know and wanted me to make an appointment $$. I found that on the Sirius store web site. I called sirius and they didn't know. Some guy from the caribbian/ off shore answering service wanted to sell me a portable radio. Someone as had to of taken their radio out and saw the XM tuner.

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
You think you can change it easily, but probably not...

The Sirius module is behind the passenger front kick panel, up a little high. Yes, you could remove it. No, you cannot find a Sirius module to plug in to replace it.

1) The communication between the XM tuner and the head unit is unique to GM. There is no GM-specific Sirius tuner available.

2) You would have to change the antenna even if you could plug into the existing harness. XM and Sirius operate on different frequencies, and the antenna for one won't work for the other.

There are ways that you could make an aftermarket tuner module work, but you would not be able to control it through the head unit. If you switched to an aftermarket head unit that has Sirius control ability, you would still have to install a new antenna, plus all the adapters and accessories if you want to retain warning chimes, OnStar (if equipped), and the Driver Information Center.

I too have a bias towards Sirius, and it was almost strong enough for me to avoid GM altogether, but I got the G6 for less than half of the other car I was considering. The thing that killed the deal for the other car is that no one in the western US had the car I wanted with the nav system, so back to Pontiac I went.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
SiriusConnect™ GM Class-2 Compatible SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuner

Model#: SIR-GM1

Access all of your favorite SIRIUS programming directly through your factory-installed GM headunit.

Do you think this unit will work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Sirius module is behind the passenger front kick panel, up a little high. Yes, you could remove it. No, you cannot find a Sirius module to plug in to replace it.

1) The communication between the XM tuner and the head unit is unique to GM. There is no GM-specific Sirius tuner available.

2) You would have to change the antenna even if you could plug into the existing harness. XM and Sirius operate on different frequencies, and the antenna for one won't work for the other.

There are ways that you could make an aftermarket tuner module work, but you would not be able to control it through the head unit. If you switched to an aftermarket head unit that has Sirius control ability, you would still have to install a new antenna, plus all the adapters and accessories if you want to retain warning chimes, OnStar (if equipped), and the Driver Information Center.

I too have a bias towards Sirius, and it was almost strong enough for me to avoid GM altogether, but I got the G6 for less than half of the other car I was considering. The thing that killed the deal for the other car is that no one in the western US had the car I wanted with the nav system, so back to Pontiac I went.

~ MattInSoCal
So if I remove the tuner and change the antenna witl the GM direct connect work or would i need to put a standard factory head unit in? Meaning remove my monsoon head unit and put in a single disc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone. If you are looking to put Sirius into the G6 the SIR-GM1 isn't compatible. From what I can tell it's because of the harness.

A company does make a part for the 05-09 G6.
TSS-Radio sells it here.

*Full Disclosure. I do work for this company and I understand how tacky it is as this is such a borderline advertisement. I just wanted to help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone. If you are looking to put Sirius into the G6 the SIR-GM1 isn't compatible. From what I can tell it's because of the harness.

A company does make a part for the 05-09 G6.
TSS-Radio sells it here.

*Full Disclosure. I do work for this company and I understand how tacky it is as this is such a borderline advertisement. I just wanted to help.

Well, I just called that company and their compatibility chart does not list the G6 Monsoon system. It list the G5, G8, Cobolt. He said the standard head unit might work? Is that a direct plug and play?

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah. The monsoon system is not compatible. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in my first post.
The G6 is compatible with this part:
http://www.tss-radio.com/isimple-media-gateway-gm3-sirius-connect-kit-p-6720.html

but not if it has the monsoon system.
Sorry about that everyone.

When installed on a compatible vehicle, it is plug and play in the sense that you plug in all of the harnesses without having to do anything else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah. The monsoon system is not compatible. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in my first post.
The G6 is compatible with this part:
http://www.tss-radio.com/isimple-media-gateway-gm3-sirius-connect-kit-p-6720.html

but not if it has the monsoon system.
Sorry about that everyone.

When installed on a compatible vehicle, it is plug and play in the sense that you plug in all of the harnesses without having to do anything else.
Do you know where the difference is" Harness, head unit or what?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is what he said:
The 2009 G6 should be compatible with our units. It will have to have a Band or XM button and will use the PGHGM3 harness, but other than that, some new firmware, and proper install, I don’t see why it would work. The PGHGM3 harness can be tricky because some LAN wires have to be jumped. We provide all the wires and plugs to do it, but it requires the installer to read the instructions and look at the harness to see which wires to connect. Honestly, this is the biggest issue we see with this application, so maybe it is that? We do have a note about not working w/ Monsoon systems, but that is for the PGHGM5 harness and only affects older Cavalier based vehicles. So, all in all your customer should be in pretty good shape. I think I answered what you were asking, but if not let me know and I will get you the answers you need. Thanks!​

Hopefully this is helpful. I changed our sites compatibility. So I would look at the product manual. http://www.tss-radio.com/images/PGHGM3_Manual.pdf

So you might be able to get this going for your vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You think you can change it easily, but probably not...

~ MattInSoCal
I know I'm tagging and should not. OK THANK YOU! Chevy of Bellevue WA quoted me $832.50 to replace it.
I been looking for new or used radios! Now see it's not the radio needs replaced. OK found work order here is what it says. Here a pic I uploaded to see what it says. Is that the RADIO or the SIRIUS XM MODULE? IMG_20210430_113144070.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts