Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've read a lot of posts about the Metra 99-3303 and how it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! HOWEVER, I'm not all that willing to fork over 170+ (160 if I get the Crutchfield discount) just so I can keep the driver info center for my piece of junk (totaled, but slowly putting it back together) G6. I'm mostly interested in having an AUX. I've thought about picking up a radio from the local salvage, but with phones nowadays not having a headphone jack a bluetooth option with the aftermarket radio sounds ideal.

So - those who ended up with the much more reasonably priced SCOSCHE GM1587B, how much do you miss the Driver Info Center? And for people who are using the 99-3303, is it worth forking over 150+ just so you can keep the driver info center?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Another option to retain the DIC is a speedometer swap to the newer 2010 cluster.
I have a how-to here:
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/203-how/26074-2010-speedometer-swap-how.html
Prices for the parts vary, but it's certainly more affordable than the metra kit.

Obviously if you don't use the DIC you won't miss the DIC. You don't really need it for anything on a regular basis. Once your settings are set, you can unplug it and be perfectly fine without it.
Just keep in mind there's also no message center then, No notice of door ajar or oil change due.
The metra kit is expensive and ugly IMO, they also have a kit where you can stash the DIC in the glovebox or center console, but then you're running wires all over the place. That's more to allow for a double din IIRC.

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
i believe if the car had xm built in you could tap the xm input wires for an aux but i haven't tried it.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
You're right! I forgot about that.
Here's someone's info on how they completed the install to add AUX to their stock unit.
https://hackedit.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/custom-audio-input-hack-for-xm-ready-car-stereos/

It'll require some soldering, but of course doesn't add Bluetooth. But you can then plug in a bluetooth receiver....
i was suggesting that since the xm module was in the trunk there is a harness that runs from it to the dash radio and therefore it should be possible to cut the audio wires from the xm module and connect a jack or headphone cord to plug into your phone.i did this on a buick that has a separate cassette player.but i like your idea too.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
i was suggesting that since the xm module was in the trunk there is a harness that runs from it to the dash radio and therefore it should be possible to cut the audio wires from the xm module and connect a jack or headphone cord to plug into your phone.i did this on a buick that has a separate cassette player.but i like your idea too.
Interesting, I pulled a wiring diagram to check this as it never occurred to me. And you are correct, there is a shielded set of 3 wires that can easily be tapped for an AUX input.
WAY easier than tearing apart the stereo and soldering to the PCB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great suggestion! I don't think my 06 came with XM but I'll have to look into that today. Thanks!

Pretty interesting thread we got going here. Out of all the threads I read on the subject this is the first time I've reading of tapping the xm wires.

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
Interesting, I pulled a wiring diagram to check this as it never occurred to me. And you are correct, there is a shielded set of 3 wires that can easily be tapped for an AUX input.
WAY easier than tearing apart the stereo and soldering to the PCB.
do you know the colors?

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
i cancelled my xm because it was up to 26 dollars a month.unless they offer me a great deal i'll be cutting some wires.they offered me 60 dollars for twelve months on an old radio a few days ago.id go for that.i may just wire it up on a double pole double throw switch.

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
i added my aux input today.gm made it very easy.the three xm input wires were in a seperate plug plugged into the back of the radio.i just cut the wires long enough to rehook up the xm in the future and soldered on a cord with the headphone plug on the end.it works when the radio is tuned to the xm preview channel.i'll test it farther on the way to work tomorrow.the only hard part was getting to the radio.

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
it still works great.xm offered me a great deal so now i need to find a 3pdw switch.it sucks that all the radio shacks are gone.this is what they were great for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts