Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Colin said:
Only time will tell , but i hope GM learned something from the problems of the past .

HAHAHAAAA!!! ROFL!!!!

oh, you were serious?

maybe they did *Shrug*

·
Registered
99 Posts
heh. i have 3.1 im dense too, so dont feel bad andy!
Yeah I am dense sometimes...I didn't know what the acronym(LIM) stood for. Shouldn't this issue be covered under the GM warranty...if you still have it? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
vainot4u said:
Yeah I am dense sometimes...I didn't know what the acronym(LIM) stood for. Shouldn't this issue be covered under the GM warranty...if you still have it? :)
Yes if you have a warranty you're OK , your 2004 has the revised gasket and lifter valley splash shield so it should be more resistant to the leak .... hopefully :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 96 Dodge Intrepid had this happen to it as well...when I asked the mechanic he said it happens to alot of vehicles...is that true?...this is the same thing as a leaky intake gasket right?

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Colin said:
Yes if you have a warranty you're OK , your 2004 has the revised gasket and lifter valley splash shield so it should be more resistant to the leak .... hopefully :)
Colin, do you know exactly when GM started using the updated parts in the Grand Am?

·
Registered
10 Posts
sunrunner_pei said:
Colin, do you know exactly when GM started using the updated parts in the Grand Am?
The intake valley shield is used in 01 up engines and iirc the intake gasket was changed for 04 . (The 3400 from 01 up is vastly improved over the first couple of yrs. -->
  • Modified lifter guide
    More durable water pump
    Improved bearings for accessory drive tensioner and idler
    High resistance spark plugs / wires
    Revised throttle body
    Sleeveless coolant sensor
    New starter motor

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Interesting stuff! I wasn't aware of all those changes. I had the LIM leak in my '99, I'm crossing my fingers that my '03 will be OK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sunrunner_pei said:
I had the LIM leak in my '99, I'm crossing my fingers that my '03 will be OK.
The purpose of the valley shield is to keep hot oil off the intake manifold , (some say the oil helps to soften the gaskets ). I guess you could fit one in the earlier engines along with the new gasket and torque specs and hope for the best . ;) 03 also has --->

• Revised crankshaft bearing
    Revised cylinder heads
    Revised pushrods
    Revised camshaft journal
    Iridium plugs
    Improved starter solenoid
    Cam sync ring is a 50/50 pattern of raised and lowered semi circles

·
Registered
39 Posts
vainot4u said:
My 96 Dodge Intrepid had this happen to it as well...when I asked the mechanic he said it happens to alot of vehicles...is that true?...this is the same thing as a leaky intake gasket right?
I sell probably 6-7 of the upper intake gaskets for Intrepids a week, more so than for the GM 3.1/3.4!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts