Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Your annoyances.

2M views 110 replies 66 participants last post by  Shawnishere2 
#1 ·
I was driving yesterday and the thought hit me. I'd like to hear what annoy people about their car. Maybe someone from GM will see it and address the issue in future models.

I'm not looking for things that are wrong with your car (e.g. steering wheel lock up, leaking panoramic roof, etc.). I'm interested in things that aren't broken or unique to your car but annoy you.

For me:

- I have the 6 disc changer. I didn't really want it but I couldn't get the sunroof without it. I guess that package is an annoyance. My real annoyance is with the changer itself. I absolutely hate the fact then when you eject a disc it automatically changes to the next disc. I think you should have the option of loading a new disc in the slot that you just ejected from immediately. I don't want to have to wait for the next disc to load only to press load and have to wait again as it pulls up the empty slot. Also, maybe being able to choose to eject discs x, y, and z instead of only having the option to eject one disc at a time or all the discs at a time.

- The cheap interior plastics. My doors constantly get scuffed up and some parts of the driver door are actually worn out (for lack of a better term) after only 7 months. Also, to a lesser degree, the cheap feel of the volume and tune knobs on the radio.

- Front seats that are near impossible to reach under. Man, I've dropped some slips of paper, dollar bills, and other stuff down the side of the driver's seat next to the glove box. It's an exercise in frustration trying to get that stuff back out.

That's all I can think of. None of this stuff is a real problem, but it certainly tends to frustrate me from time to time. The 6 disc changer especially, can be very aggravating for me.

See less See more
#55 ·
No no pics yet. I am planning on taking pic this spring or summer. Baby is pretty dirty right now. how do they turn on? I have a 2 year old daughter. Thats why I was looking ofr info.

#56 ·
When i get 2 new door speakers cause both blew out and when I get it back on the ride home they are buzzing cause the people didn't put the door back on properly

#57 · (Edited)
My biggest complaint is that I have to lean out of the car and stretch to reach the door handle on the door of my coupe...My old Monte Carlo had a handle right there...never had to lean or stretch...

Another realy big peave of mine...Gas fill door on the passneger side of the car...would it kill GM to move the fill to the driver side...

mphred said:
(G6 on Tach) Yeah, it is kind of reflective, enough to think it is an idiot light anyway. I know it seems nit-picky, but it was really driving me nuts last night. And this is the place to dump "your annoyances..."
Im having issues with my compass located in my rear view mirror...I swear I think I see police blues chasing me every time I glance at the mirror...My heart skips a beat.

Front seats that are near impossible to reach under. Man, I've dropped some slips of paper, dollar bills, and other stuff down the side of the driver's seat next to the glove box. It's an exercise in frustration trying to get that stuff back out.
I many times have dropped my keys down between the seat and console...its a pain to get them back

wannahavegtcoupe said:
Even the G5 has side mirrors that are painted to match the body yet the G6 coupe doesn't. Also I would have liked bigger side mirrors
The G6 mirrors are the same as the last generation Malibu.

#58 ·
I have the 06 GT.
I hate the position of the cupholders. I like to put my arm on the center part and hold the shifter. I dont like the cheap plastic on the dash and center console.

I've only had the car a month, and so far thats all that bugs me. Love the car.

#62 ·
If any one is having problems with 06 GTP w/3.9l power steering whine or growl.

Buy some Lucas power steering fluid with conditioner.

Suck out old fluid with mighty vac or turkey baster. Do not take fluid down to the pump inlet as it will let air in your pump.

Fill it to just over full mark with Lucas. Noise should go away.

If it does not. You may have air in the system from the start.

Get a thick piece of rubber about 3 or 4 inch diameter. Cut a hole in the center just big enough to put a brass nipple in. Get a mighty vac vacuum pump. connect it to the brass nipple and put a plastic tube on the other end long enough to go down about 3 inches in the resivor.

raise the front of the car so you can turn the wheels left and right with no resistance. evacuate the pump resivor and do not add fluid. make sure you do not drain it all the way as not to cavitate the pump. vacuum out to 20 inches of mercury until it says 20 on the mighty vac gauge.

Start car, turn wheel left and right and maintain 20 inches on pump, do not exceed 20 inches.

Repeat procedure until the vacuum is steady on gauge. This is to say not being erratic.

If it continues to be erratic, check to make sure that the pump is not cavitation. If it is add just a bit of fluid.

When the vacuum is steady that means the air is out of the system.

If you exceed the 20 inches you can damage the seals in the steering gear.

Takes 2 people to do this. One to turn the wheel, the other to keep 20 inches of vacuum on the system.

#63 ·
Mine

I've seen a couple of gripes that I recognize. One was the slight pause when flooring the accelerator. That issue was fixed when I put in a new computer chip and exhaust. Not to mention how much power it added. :)

Something about the dash reflecting in the window drives me nuts. I guess it's the angle or something. And of course the mp3. I fixed that issue too with an ISimple setup. It's awesome. I might have even bought another one next time around or a G8 if Pontiac hadn't have died.

#65 ·
lol... What makes you think I was scammed? Absolutely no doubt about it. It increased my responsiveness and power. I could tell an immediate difference. It's called a Vector Motorsports. Depending on the way they set it up it could supposedly give you better mileage but I told them to set it up to make it quicker. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but it was well worth the money. I also noticed a difference when shifting. I definitely don't feel scammed.

#69 ·
Oh, so you got a tune, NOT a chip. When people get a "chip" on here it's usually because they got scammed by...well, I can't mention them by name because we could be the board in trouble. But one rhymes with net but has a J, and the other has 3 letters and can sometimes be found on the end of a McLaren Mercedes. ;)

Yes Vector and WAMS are definately legit.

#66 ·
On my GTP (this may be for all of you), I find it to be a pain to get to the 3 spark plugs near the firewall.

#72 ·
My car is an 08 G6 Value Leader with the 2.4 four. It's not the car I would have bought, but I am running a lease out for a family member for free,so I can't complain too much. I've driven a lot of cars and most of them are imports. I wanted to like this car, just because it's not an import. I wanted to say that "Wow, GM HAS changed"

This car shows me GM has improved a lot and maybe the new slimmed down GM will improve that much more. All the improvements they could have made to the G6 have been made to the current Malibu (08,09?) Still, how many people have sampled this car (or other subpar GM vehicles) and vowed never to buy GM again?

The positives:
- The ride is quiet and fairly smooth. Much quieter ride then our 06 Accord
- It is a fairly handsome car, even in base form. Much better then any Grand Am I remember or plastic clad 80's ot 90's Pontiac.
- The chassis is pretty good. Sticks to the road, even with the awful tires they saddled the base car with. Structure is pretty solid.

But here are my gripes:

- No keyless entry standard. Really? In 2008? Last car I bought without keyless was my 2001 Hyundai Elantra (new) base model. I know, it's a convenience, but one that 95% of new cars come with.

- Numb,numb,numb electric steering. The chassis is good and they ruined it with this terrible steering. I know you V6 folks don't have the same system, so you don't know. But it's bad and it ruins the feel of the car.

- 4 spd automatic. When all your competitors offer 5 spd autos and have for some time, you should too. Tuned for economy, it takes a good poke of the accelerator to make it downshift and it upshifts too fast (thought it is smooth). Made even worse when attached to the...

- Coarse sounding engine. This is the roughest sounding engine I've driven in a new car. The whole drivetrain brings the car down. Too much noise,vibration and harshness. Lots of buzzing, moaning and not nice mechanical noises.

(I know, some of you are saying "Don't buy the base car". Here's the deal: A base Accord and a top of the line Accord drive the same (mostly). The 4 cylinder is smooth and loves to rev, the V6 even more so. This car isn't even close. People should want to buy all models of the car, not just the uplevels because they are that much better)

- Cheap plastics inside. GM has made strides in this, but it's still not close to the Accord or even a Ford Fusion.

- The D.I.C is great, but I want my trip computer with the odometer. A small annoyance.

- Awful looking wheel covers. All wheel covers look bad, these seem really ugly and they are cheap.

This is a mediocre car that could have been much better. Unfortunately, the Chevy got all the improvements while the Pontiac and Saturn are left to die. But mediocre cars have forced people away from GM for a long time.

People will be less inclined to buy a new Chevy if their Pontiac left them wanting for something else. And this battle will continue until more people experience "Post Restructuring GM". The new GM shows big promise once it's all sorted out.

Cheers!

#78 · (Edited)
well what annoys me.well i have had the car for a month now 2006 G6 GT.."used"
it came with 2 years unlimited Km powertrain warranty,so what not under warranty i have to fix like.i bought the car on line at a local dealship that was 400 miles from me..over all i was please when it arrive at my door .....every thing seem to ok for just the miners things i list below.....so there was no turning back...

1 head liner light switch broke on month i had it and it is to far to reach...
peddles don't work i'll have to see if it's fuse burnt or something else but don't really need them....
2 gas cap should be on the drivers side...
3 door opens really wide and hard to reach the handle.
4 cup holders to far back....
5 window opens 1/4 inch or so and when it freezes out side "which does here where i live"or water freezes on to the glass you think it will damage the motor,have to be care full and make sure it's free of ice before opening the door.....so does this mean i can't put any sunvisers on the A piller??????
6 3 peice dangley lower spoilers..
trying to think of more ,but i guess that it........only had it a month and i don't drive it that much......
but what i can tell,i love this thing the looks,the feel,the power,all kinds of gagets.kool..
2006 G6 Gt Black on Black.....hopefully it will out last my accord with 328,000 Km

#79 ·
UNFORTUNATELY, everything annoys me about this car. First off i would of liked to have the 6changer cd player but couldnt find one, then with my car now whenever i go over bumps slow my seat goes up with me like its loose! The doors seem so cheap .. i feel like if u accidently shut it too hard its gonna fall off. I hear every noise in that car ..including noises that drive me crazy like the popping in the front left. The brakes/rotors seem to need attention more than normal. I dont have a AUX input!

#80 ·
my two biggest peeves are:
1. 4 speed in my 06 GTP. i just wish i had my car with an 07 transmission.
2. i cant believe no one has said this, i hate digging under the lip of my truck just to open the damn thing.
3. the speed volume. i don't know if you can turn it off, but if you can, someone tell me how. im just saying, at 125 mph (having some fun with friends on a deserted highway), i cant be messing around with controls even if they are on the wheel .

#81 ·
Manual is there for a reason. It is the button to the left of the volume switch.

AUTO u (Automatic Volume): With automatic volume, the audio system adjusts automatically to make up for road and wind noise as you drive.
Set the volume at the desired level. Press this button to select LOW, MEDIUM, or HIGH. AUTO VOL LOW, AUTO VOL MEDIUM, or AUTO VOL HIGH displays. Each higher setting allows for more volume compensation at faster vehicle speeds. As you drive, automatic volume increases the volume, as necessary, to overcome noise at any speed. The volume level should always sound the same to you as you drive. AUTO VOL NONE displays if the radio cannot determine the vehicle speed or if the engine is not running. To turn automatic volume off, press this button until AUTO VOL OFF displays.

#85 ·
annoyances with my 2007 G6 HTC

- Tires were completely done by the time I reached 30k (and I am a slow driver)
- 65Km on the car right now and I am on my 3rd exhaust system
- Roof wont lock into secure either up or down (but of course not all the time - so my dealership thinks I am crazy)...I guess you are supposed to push the switch 25 times back and forth???
- Brakes have been done twice already at 66k and I just found out that my roters/brakes are shot again along with the ball joints and tierods
- I have had a rattle on the drivers side somewhere up at the top behind the seat since the day I bought the car - but of course it doesn't do this all the time either (again, dealership thinks I am crazy)
Maybe I just got a lemon???

#86 ·
I agree with the auto dimming rear view, for such a new model and not having it is kinda sad. I mainly use my ipod with itrip, but an aux port would be ideal for better quality. and the 6 disc takes forever to load and unload cds. also the vanity mirrors are cheap and break easily, not that I use them often but still. Overall I love the car, but the little things like this bother me. I do like how the wipers are speed sensitive though very nice feature

#87 ·
:mad:I don't know what idiot of an engineer at GM decided that the wipers were a good idea, but I hope he has been let go by now. Being an engineering student myself, I am critical of little things. This though, is as clear as day. Lets have the wiper stop directly in front of your face, leaving water until the primary makes its back sweep. Not to mention, any speed over 65 the wipers will skip over that spot, smearing that water directly in your line of sight. I assumed my wipers were bad when I first got the car, but after I purchased rainx latitude blades the problem was still present. Not sure if its due to the slope of the windshield causing the airflow to lift the blades slightly or not.

Other then that, it is just creature comforts such as the seat is only power up and down. My 1996 Monte Carlo has full power seats. Also, I prefer a tilt steering wheel as opposed to the rake and telescoping ones. Of course, I have the warped rotors too, but I plan on turning them until they are no longer usable and then just upgrading.

:)Besides these complaints, I love the car. Very smooth and composed in corners. The 3500 has a nice, snappy throttle response.

#88 ·
The seat recline levers. I thought maybe they were designed to come right off so easily, because they in fact doubled as some sort of tool.

That's not the case.

I already lost one after some drunk broad getting in my car must have kicked it out the door as she scrambled into the back seat after the bar... ugh. Now my options are:

1) Find one at the wrecker, and superglue BOTH sides into place.
2) Find some compatible leather upgrades.

Also, the Monsoon system is silly (06 GTP Coupe). Why they thought to integrate the stereo with the DIC baffles me, and now that I want to upgrade my sound system, it's just a pain in the butt.

Someone mentioned brake-dust on the rims, which is indeed brutal. I wouldn't dare replace the stock wheels without upgrading the rotors and calipers. They would be grunged out in a week.

#89 ·
I must say I have none!!!! I love my 06 GTP with over 80,000 miles and counting! Just the normal services (oil changes with mobile one, coolant flush to get rid of the dexcool, tires and brakes) and one oxygen sensor. Can't believe how many annoyances everyone has listed.