Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know what is your Top Speed and what kind of G6 you drive a 4 cyl., 3.5L or a 3.9L?

Some one here tells me that my car gone a limited at 118 mph. I buy a G6 Coupe GTP with A/T and i don't think it gone a limited at 118 mph. I think is 135 mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone here raised the top speed of your G6? :confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
From your other post I think yours is 118. They do it to the speed rating of the tires and for some unknown reason the all-seasons on the GTP are only T rated. Doesn't make much sense seeing the GT's come standard with V rated tires and a 135mph governor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got up to 120mph so far in my GTP 6speed...I haven't had the ability [clear roads/distance] to see what its limited at yet tho.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
I have 'W' rated Bridgestones, so I would think my car tops out at 140 mph or better. I haven't pushed her past 90 mph, but I will try to push the envelope a little more when Spring is in full effect. ;)

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Fish said:
Has anyone proven the theory that GTP's are all governed at 118 with the Goodyears for sure?
It is not a theory, it is a fact,if you have 'T' rated Goodyear Eagle LS2's. The top speed of the car can not exceed the speed rating of the tires. :(

·
Banned
44 Posts
There are ways of removing the top speed limiter. I guess my question is why would you need to? Unless you're hitting the limiter on the track you don't need to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
SCGA1 said:
It is not a theory, it is a fact,if you have 'T' rated Goodyear Eagle LS2's. The top speed of the car can not exceed the speed rating of the tires. :(
I just looked at the equipment listing on my car and the tires are listed as P225/50R18 S Rated tires.

Wonder why there would be a diff if yours are T rated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
my 4banger wont go past 112 and thats in 5th gear never gets high enough rpms to shift up if using the autoshifter. when not using it will just for gas mileage

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think I have gotten mine to about 93......LMAO. I'm scared to get a speeding ticket....I used to get them on a regular basis!

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
That's pretty dumb that they rate the top speed solely based on the tire rating. It seems like they would pick tires to match the car, but it certainly isn't beyond the realm of possibility of GM. I've never topped out on my G6, and I will almost certainly never do so if it doesn't have the 118 mph limiter. Mine's a 2006 GT and supposedly came with V rated tires.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
The 05 GT came with V rated tires and supposedly it goes up to 135. I've got it to ONLY 125 before backing off.

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
128 here and would like to see higher!
It's good to see that a 06 GT can go 128- I thought that mine had the low limiter. It's also good to know that the spedometer doesn't go up to 140 for nothing lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts