Pontiac G6 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to let you know the no company will put a limiter limit on their website or sticker. The fastest you can go in the states is 75 plus it is a federal regulation that all engines have a 75% top rated speed of that engine.

So is that fair to the consumer? Doesn't the consumer have the right to know 'everything' about their many thousand dollar purchase? I cannot find this regulation that you mention anywhere in either the U.S. or Canadian government materials. Closest thing I can find relates to heavy trucks and fleet vehicles. Can you provide it for us?
Oh, I have a Nissan Altima that does every bit of 136 and a Jeep Cherokee that does every bit of 130...that's 100% of their speeds showing on the dials....go figure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So is that fair to the consumer? Doesn't the consumer have the right to know 'everything' about their many thousand dollar purchase? I cannot find this regulation that you mention anywhere in either the U.S. or Canadian government materials. Closest thing I can find relates to heavy trucks and fleet vehicles. Can you provide it for us?
Oh, I have a Nissan Altima that does every bit of 136 and a Jeep Cherokee that does every bit of 130...that's 100% of their speeds showing on the dials....go figure.
I will when I get back. Of course. I had a 2000 Explorer that read 120 and I buried the needle. So It is really up to the maker on what they want to put. Do you want to buy a Ferrari that says 80 or 185 on the speedometer. So it doesn't mean it is 100% of that engine.
Governor (device)
Automobiles are a common application, and modern automobiles are equipped with such a mechanism for various reasons. There are two types of automobile governors, one limiting the rotational speed of the engine, the other limiting the speed of the vehicle. In small, low power applications, governors are used to protect the engine from damage due to excessive rotational speed, or pushing the engine past its peak abilities. In larger, higher performance engines governors are used to limit the vehicle speed. Many performance cars are limited to a speed of 250 km/h (155 mph)[2] to limit insurance costs of the vehicle and reduce the risk of tires (tyres) failing.

http://www.itsdocs.fhwa.dot.gov/JPODOCS/REPTS_TE/8183.pdf This talks about commercial and Privately Own Vehicles. You will have to read it. I gave you site

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will when I get back. Of course. I had a 2000 Explorer that read 120 and I buried the needle. So It is really up to the maker on what they want to put. Do you want to buy a Ferrari that says 80 or 185 on the speedometer. So it doesn't mean it is 100% of that engine.
Governor (device)

If it is up to the maker, the maker should place the speed they limit the engine to and only that speed as the maximum number on the speedometer or at least place this info in the owner manuals or specs materials so that the buyer can make a 'fully informed' choice.

Imagine if you were in a life or death situation and you find out later that you could have gotten to a hospital faster by taking another vehicle. I think that anyone in such a situation would choose the vehicle that goes faster. I've been in that situation and I was pretty upset about it. Not everyone has a choice of cars to rush to the hosptial in....but I would have chose my Jeep instead of my G6 that day...if I had known.

Automobiles are a common application, and modern automobiles are equipped with such a mechanism for various reasons. There are two types of automobile governors, one limiting the rotational speed of the engine, the other limiting the speed of the vehicle. In small, low power applications, governors are used to protect the engine from damage due to excessive rotational speed, or pushing the engine past its peak abilities. In larger, higher performance engines governors are used to limit the vehicle speed. Many performance cars are limited to a speed of 250 km/h (155 mph)[2] to limit insurance costs of the vehicle and reduce the risk of tires (tyres) failing.

http://www.itsdocs.fhwa.dot.gov/JPODOCS/REPTS_TE/8183.pdf This talks about commercial and Privately Own Vehicles. You will have to read it. I gave you site
I already found this report and that is all it is...just a report.
Page three in this report states, "The report describes devices available to control truck speed, and ways that they are applied in commercial fleet settings. The report is supportive of fleet applications of speedmonitoring
and speed-limiting devices, but concludes that there is not sufficient justification to consider requiring all heavy trucks to be so equipped. Problem size statistics suggest that the number of target crashes is low, e.g., approximately 30 fatal crash involvements per year for combination-unit trucks. This small crash problem size, together with uncertainties regarding the potential for crash reduction, suggest that the benefits of mandatory speed limitation are questionable."

GM can't even provide me with the so-called 'regulation'...or at least they're still looking for it...over two weeks for me now...still no word from them...

It's just my opinion, but I think with the technology that they have today the car makers would be better off building in controls that let the owners themselves set the limit of their vehicles, especially the parent who allows their kids to drive their vehicle.
If someone wants to go fast, let them do so at their own risk. The limiters are set at excessively high amounts already.
If they're so concerned about safety and the speeds at which people 'might' drive, why not set all vehicles to do the maximum of any road in the country - 75. I'm kdding there of course, but it still makes a point. hehe.

Thank you BigBooDaddy for taking the time on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2005 G6 GT Model was able to go up to 200 km/h, i know it can go more but the engines computer (ECM) is controlling it to not go anymore due to your tires speed rating, so if you do get your G6 to go faster its possible jsut make sure you have the proper tires to handle speeds higher than 200. if you want you can still use your same tires jsut be carefull when pushing your G6 at higher speeds, but its still best to look into it. Here is a couple of links to companys who sell a new ECU that takes of the top speed limiter and rev limiter, you can either send in your ecu or you can buy one brand new, you just need to send you V.I.N. number in and fill the rest of the info and options.
>>>>> http://www.zzperformance.com/g6/products.php?id=148 <<<<< >>>>> http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=38&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54&vmcchk=1&Itemid=54 <<<<<try this site first. if it doesnt work then just go to the main page www.whiteautoandmedia.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased a 2009 G6 GT and found that it will only top out at 110. I have not read all the other posts but it looks like there is no way for it to go faster. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Besides the speed issue it handles great!

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
I purchased a 2009 G6 GT and found that it will only top out at 110. I have not read all the other posts but it looks like there is no way for it to go faster. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Besides the speed issue it handles great!
Yes our tune can handle that for you in addition to more power and increased fuel economy :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is it a chip? I dont know a whole lot about tuning but thanks for the tip. What kinda performance can I expect from the tuning and will it allow me to go beyond the 110 mph threshold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an o7 v6 g6 that has a max of like 105 if i buy one of these chips is it going to allow me to go faster? and is it better to buy a new ecm outright and pay the extra to keep the original or not?

·
Registered
6 Posts
more on speed limiters

Hello people...been a while since I was here.

Since then GM got back to me about speed limiters and all they wanted to do was give me technical reasons for why they had them in place. They admitted there was no 'real' legislation, but they do it for 'ours and the automobiles protection'. They took my suggestion to include the speed limiters in either their specs/sales material. I'm sure they'll sleep on it, but what the heck.

I started asking around and a some local mechanics suggested that the speed limiters on ALL Pontiacs can be in a way 'turned off' without modification by both turning off the traction control AND by pulling up one notch on the hand brake. They said one notch will not engage the brakes, that it will just trip the alarm at that level and in turn disable the speed limiter controls. They told me that you will be annoyed by the ringing door chime sound and the clock interface flashing and the lights will/may turn off, but the car should reach its maximum if you want it to like this. I haven't tried this yet because it is winter here right now, but I will when it warms. Has anyone tried this or know if there is any truth to any of it?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have an o7 v6 g6 that has a max of like 105 if i buy one of these chips is it going to allow me to go faster? and is it better to buy a new ecm outright and pay the extra to keep the original or not?
Go here:
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=17&Itemid=54

It says it removes the top speed limiter completely, so theoretically it will allow you to go faster than 105. Another tread says it goes up to maybe a maximum of 135 before it runs out of power, but that was a stock '05 GT so maybe with a tune that gives you 10-15 additional HP might get you to what...140? I have only gotten up to about 115 before pulling up for my exit, plus I don't want to have a state trooper catch me at that speed

I can't answer you ecm question but I'm sure someone can answer you question at the site above...or go PM Lampoon, he just got one of these tunes and I'm sure he won't mind answering a question or two.

I started asking around and a some local mechanics suggested that the speed limiters on ALL Pontiacs can be in a way 'turned off' without modification by both turning off the traction control AND by pulling up one notch on the hand brake. They said one notch will not engage the brakes, that it will just trip the alarm at that level and in turn disable the speed limiter controls. They told me that you will be annoyed by the ringing door chime sound and the clock interface flashing and the lights will/may turn off, but the car should reach its maximum if you want it to like this. I haven't tried this yet because it is winter here right now, but I will when it warms. Has anyone tried this or know if there is any truth to any of it?
I call bs on this. Other than it being retarded there are better ways to get to the true top speed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the WAMS BAM THANK YOU MAM tune that Chris does.
I felt a nice difference but dont expect an increase in gas milage.

It makes you have a lead foot which is counterproductive to that goal. lol
this looks like a very nice investment...there's only one other modified G6 in town and he acutally works right across from where i work...it's like a fun little unspoken competition

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have a 06 GT, and as everyone else has said before, it only tops out at 135, what a bitch. Anyways, since the car is technically in my parents name, and I cant do any modifications without their approval. Can anyone help me spin this into something that would convince them to let me purchase one.

Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Here I come to deliver the BUZZ KILL!
Look in the background; the woman that hit this pole lived, maybe she can buy the one in the back.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts